Buying a PPOR around Wollongong/Dapto/etc and getting a job there?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Fruitjuicante, 4th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Fruitjuicante

Fruitjuicante Active Member

Hi guys!

I've given up on ever being able to afford even remotely around Sydney, and people have told me the commute is terrible going from Gosford or Wollongong to Sydney every day.

So I'm aiming to get a job in Wollongong and buy a house for around 500k wherever I can, and I've been looking at places like Dapto.

As someone that grew up in the shire in a housing commission house, I've seen "povo/derro" places turn into million dollar property areas. It's also either Dapto or Blacktown, so it's not like my other options are any different.

I don't care about making a profit, I just want to buy a nice house for cheap and pay it off quick so that I have somewhere to live and enjoy without the stress of paying back 800k+ for a ****** apartment.

What are your thoughts? Is this reasonable if I can get a 70k job in Wollongong? I've looked and there are jobs there I can get easily for around that pay. And my gf is studying a Masters of Public Health and has an extensive Sales background, and is likely to earn even more if she works hard.

Would this be advisable for a couple just wanting a house to call their own?

2. Nicholas Williams

Nicholas Williams New Member

Hi overall I would say you should also look elsewhere an example of this is buying in the central coast a lovely area another question is why do you want to live near Sydney other places such as Tamworth NSW or even in Queensland, for example, a house in QLD is only 300,000
    22/31 Furzer St, Browns Plains QLD 4118 | Domain

another Idea is finding a property that either has a second house/ granny flat so you can rent it as well as live in the property there are very benificial tax benefits i hoped this helped

3. Fruitjuicante

That has helped immensely, thank you!
    The issue is that Wollongong is about an hour away from my parents, both of who are not in the best of health, and they may still have another decade or two left, but I want to make the most of it. I also have friends and family living in Sydney, and feel that, while I don't deserve a house in Sydney, a 400k mortgage for a nice big house 20 minutes south of Wollongong wouldn't take too long for me to pay off if we were putting down 40k a year on it, which is easy enough for us.

Gockie likes this.
  4. Nicholas Williams

Nicholas Williams New Member

You know what another good idea is perhaps you and your parents move into a house together if that's something you want to do. secondly don't say you don't deserve a nice house where you want to live you have to get creative here is another tip if you want to sign up to
    National Mortgagee and Deceased Estate Properties | NMD Data

this website gives access to houses that are bank-owned deceased estate e.g which can help you buy a home you like for cheaper than on the market, to get full access it only cost $8 per week

5. Fruitjuicante

My parents don't live near any jobs to do with my career.
    I am hoping to move into a Management/Team Leader position, and Wollongong has a few of those jobs going, as they seem to have a lot of charities that operate out of there. I used to do charity work and I have a lot of management experience, so was hoping to make a move to a city that was more forgiving of not choosing an career like IT or Sales.

I just want a quiet life somewhere easygoing, so it felt like Wollongong or Central Coast were good places to look.

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I grew up in the northern suburbs of Wollongong & our first home was in Bellambi, north of Wollongong. It will depend on if you are capable of getting a job in Wollongong that pays a decent wage, on how happy you will be. The commute from Wollongong to Sydney is fine, but if you are reliant on the trains, when they go down, it's not at all pleasant.

Hubby was an electrician by trade, and although he could find work in the Gong, the pay was dismal, so he had to commute to get something that was reasonable.

Fast forward & we are now living in Penrith area. When Hubby was employed, he still had to do the commute, but it was an easier and more reliable commute than from Wollongong.

7. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

I think you better get a stable job first, rents are pretty cheap everywhere now.
    rent first.

Consider buying once you pass your probation period... and have a savings history.
    Banks are pretty conservative nowadays. Having a stable job in a stable industry (i.e. not travel related) is what you need to get a home loan nowadays.

all of us here started from somewhere. good luck !

p.s. there are some houses around hill top, which is just below campbelltown, selling as cheap as 4XX,000 now. I believe it is still "Sydney" .

8. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

a decent Sydney 2 bed, older style apartments can be yours from 400k now. you just need to look.
    but expect 25km out from CBD minimum.

9. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Wollongong is beautiful, and I am also thinking of moving there, looking to study for 18months at the TAFE, Diploma of Building Design.

wilso8948 and ellejay like this.
  10. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

do you have any experience buying deceased? are they any cheaper?

11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I've bought deceased estates. It's not like the USA. They just sell via auction, you may get a bargain....or not....depending on who else is bidding, and what's the reserve price.

12. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Agree, Wollongong and Shelharbour has beautiful pockets.

13. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

It's a more mountainous version of Newcastle, views for days!

ellejay likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia