Buying a newly built property - what inspections to organise

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by giraffez, 12th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

Previously when i brought a property, I had to do things like strata checks and building inspections. I'm looking to buy a unit in a block of 10 that has just recently been built. Its brand new. Do i still need to perform these inspections or things like plumbing checks etc?

2. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

Can anyone help with this please?

3. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

I am not an expert in buying new but I think it is always good idea to do a B inspection. The fact that is new won't reduce the chance of defects... You should be aware of those before buying...my 2 cents

4. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Previously builders had to warrant their work for up to 7 years, I'm not sure if that has changed or the rules are different for unit blocks.

Might be a good question for your conveyancer to find the answer to or speak with a reputable building inspector for a recommendation.

5. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

I would arrange a building inspection at the very least but there are things that you an do yourself.

Such as checking that the bottoms and tops have been painted (otherwise warranties are voided), any window/window frames scratched etc.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That's just plain awkward @Chilliblue

7. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Mirrors are fantastic inventions @Scott No Mates. If you read the majority of door manufacturers warranties, you will find in the small print, no paint or stain, no warranty.

In wet areas such as bathrooms, laundries etc, you will find that almost all builders do not paint the door edges.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Chilliblue - I didn't realise you meant doors ;) - I was wondering why builders would paint their bottoms.