Buying a house rezoned to commercial zoning

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Alex123711, 19th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

Have been looking at a couple of old QLDer's that have since been rezoned to 'commercial' I think this means that houses can not be rebuilt should they get demolished etc. It must be rebuilt as commercial property, just wondering what other problems I could have down the line if I went ahead with a purchase if my plan was to use it as a residential/ renovate further. Does the commercial zoning devalue the land much?

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm pretty sure (but I'm not a broker) that the purchase would be under commercial loan terms not resi loan terms. So the LVR might be around 60-70%

Colin Rice likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Purely depends on the demand for commercial property, more often it's worth more than resi if redeveloped to it's full potential.

Why do you think a zoning other than residential is inferior?

Often taking the risk to develop in the first stages of a newly rezoned area are the riskiest, No different to commercial.

4. Alex123711

It seems that most of the houses that have been rezoned are selling for the same or slightly less than the ones still classed residential. The area is mostly full of sharehouses/ short term let and backpackers, so maybe the rezoning gives less options in this capacity? And or as mentioned above you now have to put down 30% for something you potentially wanted to use as a house.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Just check the land size is sufficient to rebuild commercial if necessary.

Case in Brisbane years ago, old house on tiny rezoned commercial block in Albion. House falling down, not allowed to build a house as not residential. Block too small for anything else. Owner rebuilt the whole house from the inside out as a renovation, replaced everything, ended up with a completely new house!
    Marg

6. Alex123711

haha thanks will check. Also I spoke with another place for sale in the same street, asked if it was commercial and they said it was commercial but that the owner had recently rezoned it to residential for lower rates, I didn't know this was possible. I think I need to find out more about the laws etc. but not sure who I should ask? Council?

7. Alex123711

Is anyone able to confirm/ give more information about this situation? Also the costs to rezone back to residential?

8. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Correcto mondo!

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If commercial is highest and best use, you'd be nuts to rezone to residential.

balwoges likes this.
  10. Alex123711

The problem is its basically a normal house/ possibly a share house like most of the other houses in the same street/ nearby.

11. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

It might have been rezoned but unless the use stops then you can still renovate and extend

12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The only problem with this is ,once rezoned then the price will be factored into the sales price and will be very hard to get any $ percent discount to its value..

13. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

case by case, and CURRENT use we had a couple sneak through, some lenders may consider as a resi lend, but please dont expect LMI coverage, very very rare

ta

rolf

14. Alex123711

OK so apparently I got it wrong after speaking to the council, the land is zoned residential, but has been 'classed' commercial, I didn't realize they were 2 different things and am confused now. Will this still affect LVR?