NSW Buying a house in 'The Ponds' -- IP + PPOR

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by rooster123, 30th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Can you increase your offer?

2. AAA2214

AAA2214 Well-Known Member

I gave a good offer based on the recent comparable sales in the Quakers hill area but I think the stock is less and hence sellers asking more. To add lot of people in the open homes looking in the area is not helping me :(

I still regret that I couldn't buy in this area say 6 months back...

3. hash_investor

Seems like its not good. How much are they asking for?

4. AAA2214

890 to 950. Its a good location with a 550 block and 4 bedder.

5. hash_investor

strange. I am keeping an eye on it as well and have recently found prices dropping.

Saved a few properties in RE and keep getting notifications of price reduction.

6. AAA2214

Ah ok. Not sure which ones but if it's a square block, good frontage, good location they are almost gone in weeks :(.

7. AAA2214

I don't see the prices going down. Look at these for example of recent sales

14 Catania Avenue, Quakers Hill, NSW 2763 - Property Details

38 Gracelands Drive, Quakers Hill, NSW 2763 - Property Details

3 Zahra Place, Quakers Hill, NSW 2763 - Property Details

37 Gracelands Drive, Quakers Hill, NSW 2763 - Property Details

Its all the folks who see value of big blocks compared to the small ones in the neighbouring suburbs. I think I'm late to the party :(

8. hash_investor

are you buying in the suburb or hyping it :p

if you are buying, better not hype it or is this your way of hyping a suburb :)

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Crazy but true... I have colleagues still looking to buy homes in Sydney.

10. AAA2214

Ya maybe I should just shut my mouth and stop telling facts till I buy one :p but looks I will be on the list of people looking to buy a PPOR and being pushed out further from Sydney CBD

11. Rolo

Rolo Well-Known Member

Anyone here considered Bunya estate over the Ponds? I like it because it feels smaller than the Ponds, more trees, adjacent to the parklands and close to M4/M7 as well as Doonside train station and IGA. also got Arndell Park Aldi up the road.

12. hash_investor

what about it? are they releasing more land?

13. AAA2214

You are planning to buy land? I dont think there's any pending land release from landcom. But if you are comparing Ponds Vs Bunya for living its totally different. I did look at land in Bunya 2 years back but backed off due to the bad vibe of Doonside but I dont know if things have improved now

14. Rolo

Rolo Well-Known Member

Why is it totally different? In what way?

15. AAA2214

Location wise and upcoming infrastructure

16. Rolo

Rolo Well-Known Member

I'm just interested as to why the ponds is so popular. I like bunya and wanted some opinions.

If by infrastructure you mean the metro rail then times will be pretty similar to the cbd. The western line has the advantage that it's running now and not in a few years time. Location is different but if you are working in the city then again it's pretty similar. The ponds to bunya is only 20 min drive so I'm not really sure why you think they are so different.

Obviously if you have a preference to nearby amenities then you would be drawn to one or the other. For example I have two dogs and I love bungarribee dog park.

Doonside does have a stigma as do most western suburbs and to some small extent it's warranted but with woodcroft and bunya now pretty much established it has a pretty normal feel to it as far as I can tell. Doonside housing commission is far enough away not to have any real affect on bunya.

Last time I was there I did see a small amount of graffiti and there seems to be a bit of rubbish dumped around the place, and there are some nras town houses in the estate. They are the only real negatives I can see

17. AAA2214

If it was for your PPOR, I would suggest go around the streets your interested in the suburb at different times of the day and different days of the week say weekends, school times, peak hours etc.

I did that for Doonside and I didn't like the vibe at all not even 5%. Its not safe place for me and my kids or any young family with kids to live so I decided to continue to rent. I cant afford to buy in ponds and thats one of the reason i'm looking in Quakers hill where its still affordable to me under a 1 Mil :)

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

haha there is a lot of nonsense and rubbish being peddled out there. When anyone says 'the property market' is this or that, straight away I know its rubbish. There IS no property market. There are thousands and thousands of property markets, and they don't all behave the same during a slump, rise, boom etc. Quakers hill is one of the property markets in NSW that even though we are most likely at the peak of the extended boom, is still in very high demand and naturally prices are very strong, despite other markets in NSW cooling.

AAA2214 likes this.
  19. Rolo

Rolo Well-Known Member

I understand you want to keep your kids safe. What's not safe about doonside can you elaborate? Did you see anything in particular? I have done a fair bit of due diligence and I don't see anything really that different from where I grew up around pennant hills/Hornsby area. No violence or muggings etc just some graffiti and the odd bogan. Do you not find similar vibe around Quakers hill? I have a friend who lives there and I visit there a lot - to me it's a similar vibe.

To say doonsides not safe for any young family with kids because of a vibe you got one day is a bit insulting to everyone who lives there

20. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

It's not just the area itself though. The price is pretty important too. Many people are understandably very wary about paying 700-800k+ for a house in these kinds of areas. You could be a bit more optimistic if you were getting a bargain.

AAA2214 likes this.