NSW Buying a house in 'The Ponds' -- IP + PPOR

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by rooster123, 30th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. AAA2214

AAA2214 Well-Known Member

The train station and the shiny houses was the fuel for the high prices in Ponds. Not anymore and the prices are almost stagnated.

QH why that suburb was still undervalued? - Quakers hill was overlooked due to the new developments in Ponds/Schofields. People wanted shiny houses but the size of the blocks in Ponds/Schofields became smaller and smaller with high prices. Now if you need a 500m block of land only in Ponds/Schofields, you would need 750K atleast plus you add 400-450k for the build plus the wait time

Thats where Quakers hill picked up. People realized that you can get 500+ block and not so shiny houses for around 750 - 850. Thats the fuel for Quakers hill in the last one year. Not many houses stay in the market beyond 2 weeks in Quakers hill now and if you go to the open home you would realize the competition..

There's still value in Quakers hill where you get good blocks and they are many with granny flat potential. There's infrastructure in place already and the prices would go up in accordance with the neighboring suburbs. Theres still huge price difference for the growth

Sackie likes this.
  2. AAA2214

Also, you can check free suburb report which realestate.com.au provides.

Example for Quakers hill - www.realestate.com.au/neighbourhoods/quakers%20hill-2763-nsw

You can explore other suburbs too and when you compare the average visits per property for Quakers hill/Schofields/The Ponds. Clearly from those reports, currently, Quakers hill properties are in high demand when compared to the neighboring suburbs due to the value offered of big blocks and all the facilities already there.

I'm also finding the same pattern when I go to the open homes. 4 weeks I been looking for a property in the 775-875k range and they go in first week :(. But I see the value and they are many others in the same boat which is creating lot of competition :D:D

3. Loverenting

Loverenting Well-Known Member

If you are searching QH, give preference to quiet and leafy pockets adjacent to Walker Street / Burdekin Road. You will be in walkable distance to: Hambledon PS, Aldi, Scholfields Station & Woolworths, and a diect bus route (T72) to Rouse Hill Town Centre.

Last edited: 8th Jun, 2017
    ndpjai and AAA2214 like this.
  4. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Oh I think you misunderstood me,
    QH would definitely be my preference over the ponds any day. Existing 80s-90s stock due for reno, land content, relatively accessible by FHB and decent infrastructure is a good chunk of my current buying criteria. (Not that I'm buying at the moment)

Sackie and AAA2214 like this.
  5. Loverenting

One thing I have observed is that of many PC threads about the outer NW area, be it Kellyville, Rouse Hill, The Ponds, Box Hill, Riverstone, Schofields or Marsden Park, most have ended up discussing QH and how it is of better value compared to those neighbouring suburbs. And there has never been a hype QH thread.

Kis Kis likes this.
  6. AAA2214

Sshhh lets keep the hype down until I buy one :p:p

On a serious note, Quakers hill has been a silent performer and overlooked by many buyers. Its good for buyers like me looking to buy in a family oriented suburb with great infrastructure . But its definitely picked up and I don't want to miss the boat before prices reach the 1M mark :D

7. AAA2214

Ya to add to the list, if you buys anywhere near Farnham road shops or near to Aldi or near the Barnier/Mary primary schools. You would be good for the long run of capital growth.

That said now the older side of quakers hill has picked up especially the streets near the station and the shops. With the units/townhouses coming on the older side, most home owners are selling to builders for a good buck

Loverenting likes this.
  8. Loverenting

Good luck! I can see prices more or less plateau at the moment.

virhlpool likes this.
  9. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

Any chances of them going downward you reckon?

10. AAA2214

Ya hope so but from my experience in the open homes and speaking to local agents, there is less stock currently in QH in especially in the areas I pointed out. Less stock is creating more demand and pushing prices.

Also all these home owners are aware of the house prices in the neighbouring suburbs and they want to make the most of it

11. Loverenting

Well, I consider myself a rather amateur home buyer compared to most PC members here so won't dare make any bold prediction. What I would say though, Quakers Hill is a safe suburb going long term. In short term, the prices may drop by some 3-5%, flatten out or even continue to rise at a slower pace :)

12. AAA2214

Ya dont worry about the drop. I keep hearing that and waited 8 months. I would have saved 100k if I bought it a year back. If the drop is happening its throughout Sydney. Yes if you think long term there is little risk when compared to other neighboring new suburbs which are considered more risky

13. SteffS

SteffS Well-Known Member

There is a 4b house ~650sqm landsize close to station ( Kennington Ave) on market ( currently on rent at $550 pw), I am wondering as a investors is this good option ? Isn't rent low?

14. AAA2214

For investors, the yields in Sydney are not too great :(. That said, QH and surrounding suburbs the majority of the buyers are PPORs which is good for long term growth

15. SteffS

SteffS Well-Known Member

Yeah, but we looking to invest ~850k in Sydney only, so thinking about QH. Also thinking of Land only (600k 450sqm) in Box Hills.

16. AAA2214

Hmm 600K + stamp duty+ another 450k for the build + 12 to 18 months hold cost . I did the math for my PPOR and no brainer I choose Quakers hill :D

17. AAA2214

Steffs,

How did the inspections go for you. I made an offer on one of the property we liked, fingers crossed

18. SteffS

SteffS Well-Known Member

Wow, good luck, hopefully you will get it :)
    Naah, untill now we were just looking after HnL so didn't get pre loan approved. Will do soon. We saw a 4b house in QH, liked it,182 Farnham Road. Agent was saying any offers over 870k will be seriously considered. I'm interested to see its sale price: )

19. AAA2214

Ah ok. I did see that house too. The talk in the open home was that they were offers around 900 :)
    I think it will sell around that mark due to the location.

20. AAA2214

My offer didn't get accepted...:(:(:(:(

The agents says there's huge interest in the property and he is expecting better offers. I thought my offer was decent and would secure the deal. When there is a talk that the market is cooling, these kind of things suprise me and made me realise that never listen to the talk :mad:

2020vision and Kis Kis like this.