Buying a first home in Melbournebut currently live in Sydney

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Big_Apple, 7th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Big_Apple

Big_Apple Member

Hi Everyone

I live in Sydney but intend to move down to Melbourne in a year or two to be close to my sister. I understand there is slightly higher stamp duty in Melbourne but would appreciate any advice as to any other costs or things I need to be aware of? Some other info:

- It will be my first home
    - I can either use as my Melbourne abode (not rent and work between Syd and Melb) or could stay in Sydney for a year or two renting cheaply here while renting out the apartment in Melbourne.
    - My job is relatively flexible for remote work
    - I have pre-approval for a loan based on my Sydney address and job
    - I haven’t cleared this plan with the bank / my mortgage broker yet

Thanks in advance.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Why an apartment?

The Y-man

3. Big_Apple

Big_Apple Member

I’d like to be close to my sister who is in Port Melbourne. Unfortunately anything other than apartment is either just out of my range, or on a busy road (I can’t do noise!)

4. The Y-man

Ok. In that case OC costs will probably be your main thing depending on what you buy.

The Y-man

5. The Y-man

Some more questions:

What is you budget?

How close by do you need to be - eg five minutes walk etc?

The Y-man

6. Big_Apple

Big_Apple Member

Thanks Y-man :)

- Budget up to 1m
    - Proximity to sister: up to 25 minutes walk
    - I drive but won’t have a car permanently in Melb until I move down 100%

Edit: although come to think of it I could leave my car in Melbourne, if I rent close to the city in Sydney, and this might give me a bit more range from my sister.

Last edited: 7th Nov, 2021
  7. The Y-man

It comes down to how urgently you need to get to your sis - eg 24/7? Set times?

There's other options too like public transport if it's during the day, and you could still drive it at night etc.

30 min off peak can get you a fair distance from Pt Melb.

The Y-man

8. The Y-man

Also, one other thing - are you the type that uses the (usually crappy) in house gym and pool etc? If you don't make sure whatever you buy doesn't have one or you'll pay through your nose for something you don't use.

The Y-man

Big_Apple likes this.
  9. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

There really aren't any first home buyer benefits at that price point, so this just became easier...

The challenge with buying a PPOR remotely is convincing the bank that you can work from home or that you can make the communte. An easier alternative is to simply purchase under the scenario of it being an investment property.

Once you do move in, get your license updated to that address or get a utility bill addressed to you at that address. It's then easy to get the bank to change your loan from investment to owner occupier and enjoy the cheaper interest rates.

If you don't move in, you've now got an investment property in Melbourne. :)

Big_Apple likes this.
  10. The Y-man

...or the other crazy idea would be to rentvest. Buy an IP somewhere and rent in Melb. Rents should be cheap right now for inner city aprtments.

The Y-man

Big_Apple likes this.
  11. Big_Apple

Big_Apple Member

Thanks @The Y-man and @Peter_Tersteeg . I’ve spoken to my mortgage broker and confirmed I just need a letter from my employer to confirm my salary / terms of employment won’t change. There are no min days I need to live in Victoria, but do need to show things like ulility bills and drivers license registered in the state.

@The Y-man I know rentvesting can be a smart financial move but it doesn’t solve my goal of finding my own little sanctuary that I know is mine for as long as I want. I’d prefer to find something affordable and livable / lovable :) and invest the rest of my money in long term funds.