Buying a 2 bed house in Melbourne inner West at the moment FHOG, 800k - 840k

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by 3380734, 11th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 3380734

3380734 New Member

Hi all,

I've recently started looking into buying my first home and found some great properties which have fallen slightly in price due to COVID, around the 800k - 840k mark.

I currently earn 75k per year and aim aiming to progress this up to 100k in the next few years.

I've never bought a property before, so I'd qualify for the First Home Owners Grant.

I have 130k capital and an additional 70k in shares.

I was looking at a 2 bedroom house because I really like the idea of owning my own land and having a backyard. I've been told by quite a few people to hold off because:

A) the market prices will likely drop
    B) to get a big enough mortgage, I'd be maxing out my borrowing power and hence going into a lot of debt.

Many people have recommended that I save more money, dont touch my shares (invested in all ordinaries) and look at getting a 2 bed apartment instead of a home and then buying a home later down the track when I really need it.

I'm single, so dont necessarily need it for a family. My intention was to rent out the 2nd bedroom and get a house early so that I am focused on this rather than getting distracted and spending my money on other things. Also, starting with a house rather than an apartment first so that I go straight towards what I want, rather than living in an apartment for 5 years or so first.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice, this process has been quite confusing. I've seen a lender and got approval for a mortgage already and done about 10 inspections over the past 6 months.

Cheers

2. whiteknight

whiteknight Well-Known Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the FHOG only apply for property purchases < $750k in purchase price?

3. SydneytoMelbourne

SydneytoMelbourne Well-Known Member

You've got a great deposit, but curious as to why you've settled on $800-$840k.

Looking at a $600k+ mortgage on a $70k salary. I just did a super simple borrowing capacity calculator (BankWest was the first one that came up on google) - even if your expenses were $1k a month, the max loan was $476k.

I'm more risk adverse than some, but this COVID situation has shown me that you shouldn't bank too much before you've got it (e.g. your payrise, the likelihood of renting out a 2nd room). The bank probably won't either!.

I'm a novice compared to most on this forum, but think you'd be better off at a lower price point.

4. 3380734

3380734 New Member

I've just checked the Victoria State Revenue Office's website and you are correct. I guess I'll have to rethink going above 750K.

First Home Owner | State Revenue Office

I went to see a mortgage broker and I was initially prioritising what was best for me financially, which would have been a 2 bedroom apartment in the 500 - 600k range.

The broker recommended that if possible I get the property that is my preference firstly due to what I actually want, which for me would be a home rather than an apartment.

The broker's logic behind this was that if I get something that isn't what I ultimately want, then I'd be going into debt for something that I'm planning to resell at some point and then would need to pay stamp duty/other fees again.

Although, now that I am aware the FHOG would only be an option if the property was below 750K, a home may not be an option.

Cheers