Buyers refuse to pay

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by MiQu, 5th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MiQu

MiQu Member

We recently sold our PPR in Qld. Prior to settlement the buyers asked to buy some of our furniture. After a meeting we agreed on some furniture and TVs, and the price. It was an informal agreement on sms. I sent them my account details before settlement, but they did not pay at settlement. At first I thought they were just busy and forgot. A couple of weeks later, they still have not paid, and now say they are holding back because there are “issues” with the house!
    They did building and pest (prior to the contract becoming unconditional), and then pre-settlement inspections, and never raised any issues then... they even commented that the house seems almost new and complimented us on how well the house have been maintained at the meeting we had!
    I am very disappointed as we have always been very accommodating with their requests, and went out of our way to make sure the house was pristine for settlement (including hiring professional cleaners - internal and external, pool-spa and gardening, folder of instructions/manuals etc). We even left them some nice items (eg vases, statue and paintings) which matched the house decor. Not sure what to do ... any advice ?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

sue them? this is a separate contract to that of the house sale.

Shazi likes this.
  3. MiQu

MiQu Member

Yes, we kept it separate to avoid complicating settlement. The furnitures worth about $3k so lawyers fees might be more?

4. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Consult with a debt collection agency like Marshall Freeman. Ask if you can add their fee on to the debt they pursue for you. Worth exploring.

qak, Shazi, Perthguy and 5 others like this.
  5. MiQu

MiQu Member

Thanks for your advice. Will look into it.

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I aint messin wid you....:eek:

ellejay likes this.
  7. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Can I have a free statue?

8. MiQu

MiQu Member

They asked for the statue...it’s only a small 1m figurine...

9. Michael Smith

Michael Smith Member

Good luck.. small claims are always very hard to enforce in court.

MiQu likes this.
  10. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I can tell you from experience that you have a long and hard road ahead. You can’t just go to a debt collection agency and employ a couple of thugs to show up at the door and demand money. You have to go through due process and either do it yourself or engage a solicitor.

1. Write a letter of demand (which they will likely ignore). Wait a few weeks.

2. File in the magistrates court (few hundred dollars) and pay a bailiff $700 or so to have them served. Wait a few weeks for a response (they will probably ignore).

3. Go to court and prove your case. Hopefully have it ruled in your favour. They probably won’t show up.

4. Send them the court order to pay which they will probably ignore.

5. Figure out how to enforce the court order where the whole process has cost you more time and money than what you would have been paid in the first place, particularly if you’ve used a solicitor.

OR

1. Write it off as a lesson that next time you will have it written into the contract as a mutually agreed amendment under special conditions with a specified amount adjusted at settlement.

Personally, and I’m not being flippant, I wouldn’t waste your time. It will genuinely cost you more stress than it’s worth and probably more than you’re owed and there’s no guaranteed outcome in your favour. Unfortunately it’s just the way the legal system works in small claims. Given you clearly didn’t want or need the furniture anyway it’s a cheap lesson.

- Andrew

JacM, See Change, mehrar_84 and 3 others like this.
  11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A friend sold his property with some large and no longer needed items like the pool table and a massive cabinet. The solicitor included this in the settlement as a special condition to avoid such issues.

Possession was given with the property sale and its doesnt assist that the furniture contract seems to have been made by SMS. I hope that the SMS specifies the items agreed.

ellejay and MiQu like this.
  12. MiQu

MiQu Member

-------------
    Yes, the SMS listed all the items and price agreed upon. Even says that payment will go thru the night prior to settlement! I should have insisted on the payment earlier (maybe before moving out) or got the solicitors involved, but was naive in trusting the buyers who seemed nice and never thought this could happen.

ellejay likes this.
  13. MiQu

MiQu Member

-------------------------

Thank you for sharing your valuable experience and advice. The consideration of going down this path was driven mainly by principle rather than the actual dollars, and the thought of letting such action / people get away without consequence. However, it is useful to know that hiring a debt collection agency is not as straight forward as it initially seems or as they advertise. Lesson learnt indeed, and your advice much appreciated.

ellejay likes this.
  14. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Personally I would still explore the debt collection agency. The principal is important, and it's not about hiring thugs. You may be able to make a nuisance of yourself, via the agency and potentially cause them credit problems .It's your call. If it's better for your mental health to walk away then of course do that, but if not then this is an avenue that you have. You could ask the agency for testimonials, check out if they've successfully helped others in similar situations.

qak, Beano, S.T and 4 others like this.
  15. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Agreed. If you have spare time, think of it as a hobby. If you can keep your cool (the way revenge is best served) during the process, you might actually learn some valuable skills.

ellejay and MiQu like this.
  16. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I agree if you can keep it level and not stressful.

I'd start by rocking up on a Saturday morning and discussing it with them in person. Friendly style.

Beano likes this.
  17. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Yes, of course there is the principle component of it all. In my younger days I was far more about principle than practical outcomes and would pursue things that would often cost me more time and money than it was worth. For example, I once sued a vendor for a broken dishwasher and dragged him through magistrates court, debt collectors etc. Looking back, I got a kick out of it at the time but I wouldn't bother these days.

It all comes down to your personal tolerance and how much time, energy and money you want to put towards enforcing your principles. There is some arbitrary figure that is elastic for everyone depending on their personal situation - for some it would be $10,000 when some people wouldn't get out of bed for less than $100,000.

You can pursue these options if you like of course, but it's much easier for people to gee you up on these forums and get you to do it as none of us will be the ones going through the motions and having it hanging over our heads for weeks or months from now.

My point is that it's not a simple process and practically not worth your time. Having said that, I do completely empathise with the desire to do it and try to punish them on principle as I've been there and done it myself!

Cheers,

Andrew

K1200, MiQu and ellejay like this.
  18. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Lawyers love people with principles

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn’t bother with chasing it but a knock on their door and a polite “can I please have my money or my things?” can’t hurt and might shame them into paying you.

But don’t do it if you cannot keep your cool or you suspect they can’t.

MiQu likes this.
  20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Unless you have that in writing you may have a hard time enforcing this.....if it is on the contract of sale...why was the money not included in the sale.

Personally never go into informal agreement...people are funny....

MiQu likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia