Buyer sentiment dropping?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by doublebrick, 21st Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. carfield

carfield Well-Known Member

thats cuz its relative value.

those priced out of stupid 3mio house in syd, realized they can buy 5 houses in WA on nicer plot.

those Syd vendors who see buyers flocking away are in desperation to sell and cash in on stupid price, so they too can go and buy that 5 houses for the house they sold in syd. thats own home + 4 investment income,debt free

2. laura27

laura27 Member

It amazes me when Australian people say this.

Why would anyone want to immigrate to a country that has offered them so little? No financial support at all. Closed borders. ScoMo literally telling everyone to go home at the beginning of the pandemic. Personally I know a lot of immigrants planning to leave permanently once they’re allowed!

KBHV likes this.
  3. Hamish84

Hamish84 Well-Known Member

Many more would take their place. What other country offers financial support to non-residents anyway?

Upgrader_521 likes this.
  4. laura27

laura27 Member

I wouldn’t count on it. For an immigrant, it’s a massive negative to live anywhere where the government will lock you in and your family out (for obvious reasons).

I’m not talking non residents. I’m talking residents who haven’t achieved PR or citizenship, many of whom have been in Aus for years.

The U.K., as an example, supported everyone in the workforce (and the British government certainly isn’t generous).

The sentiment amongst immigrants is really negative towards Australia at the moment. The rest of the world thinks the country’s policies are a joke!

5. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Hey just because you have no appreciation for what we have here doesn't mean others won't as well.

I'm from an immigrant family. I've seen both "sides". This country is like a gift from the heavens.

Things I have to ***** about: 0

courtst, Upgrader_521 and Hamish84 like this.
  6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Brexit doesnt exactly show positive sentiment for migrants.

7. laura27

laura27 Member

My experience - you’re in the minority. I think people expecting a rush of people wanting to live here will be disappointed. In Melbourne heaps have left and planning to leave in the next couple of years.

8. laura27

laura27 Member

haha I know!

9. Hamish84

Hamish84 Well-Known Member

My experience - you’re in the minority.

You obviously don’t like this country and perhaps that’s affecting your perspective of how others view this country. Let me guess - inner city Melbourne, your sample size is purely from wealthy European countries?

10. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Australia, by and large, has fewer polarising issues than most, whether political, social or religious. It's ok to be neutral on most things, or not have an opinion at all. But everyone has to vote, so the government tends to reflect the middle because extreme views won't get majority support. This is very attractive to migrants who just want some peace to live their lives and make a few bucks.

Hamish84 likes this.
  11. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Australia is the number one destination of choice for the world's wealthiest migrants for a multitude of reasons (DYOR).

With that said, wealth is distributed comparatively evenly in Australia though: tradespeople can earn as much or more than Doctors and Solicitors; multimillionaires walk around in shorts and T-shirts in a casual manner; there isn't much class hierarchy or class distinction here.

I understand that some people prefer higher levels of class distinction, however. They enjoy looking down their noses at others, for example (although they may actually have less wealth than the people they look down to).

Such people may perhaps feel more comfortable in countries such as the UK, ect.

Hamish84 likes this.
  12. grk349

grk349 Well-Known Member

Hi Laura,

I take it you do not have any Chinese ties as you do not know they are in permanent lockdown forever since new controls.

Melbourne population - 4.5million. Maybe 1% want to leave. So 45k.

China & HK population - 1.4 Billion. Number who want to leave - 140m?

So 45k vs 140m. I think 140m wins.

Arthurark and Hamish84 like this.
  13. chewmylegoff

chewmylegoff Well-Known Member

Regardless of how the pandemic has played out, Australia still has a materially better standard of living than most countries in the world. People aren’t going to suddenly decide they don’t want to seek a better standard of living because of the current government’s stance on borders in the past. That won’t remove the push factors which make them want to leave where they are currently; or the structural pull factors (higher pay, better employment prospects, greater freedoms) which attract them here.

Gwynneth, Arthurark and Hamish84 like this.
  14. AsburyJuke

AsburyJuke Well-Known Member

100% agree.

Hamish84 likes this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yeeeah... nah.

Kramerica12, Hamish84 and djyella like this.
  16. courtst

courtst Well-Known Member

Couldn't disagree more. Guess you haven't seen footage of people getting the **** beaten out of them in some asian countries for breaking covid restrictions ! And as for support, half the world population would dream of getting the financial support that the Australian Govt has given to it's citizens. Sure we got our faults but we are not the worst. Spare a thought for some of the Pacific/Asian countries which relied on tourism for their livelihood...strict curfews and not much govt support.
    And I'm an immigrant... couldn't be more happier.

Last edited by a moderator: 28th Oct, 2021
    Observer, Hamish84 and Truly Exotic like this.
  17. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

the entitlement mentality of Australians is very high, that's all I can say,

half the population barking about how the government should look after their lifestyles during covid, some people were receiving $750 per week,

cant think of many other countries that were paying that much, in relative terms

we certainly are a lucky country, but like human nature, the more people get, the more they expect it, and appreciation drops

Last edited by a moderator: 28th Oct, 2021
    Hamish84 and LP7 like this.
  18. Truly Exotic

and I can guarantee that most will still be unhappy wherever they go, or "This wasn't how I was expecting"

Hamish84 likes this.
  19. Truly Exotic

misguided statement of the day!
    Our government is not perfect but they have thrown in so much money, or maybe you are expecting to be supported to for your rent/smashed avocados/overseas holidays

Hamish84 likes this.
  20. LP7

LP7 Well-Known Member

Australians are, without a shadow of a doubt, the most entitled people on this planet. Life is so easy here compared to anywhere else. Put in even the slightest effort and you will live a pretty high quality life.

We should add an extra year of schooling and force every person born in Australia to live 6 months abroad in a 3rd world country. That entitlement would dissipate real quick I think.

The Artisan likes this.