Buy property behind an aquatic centre

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Jay, 26th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jay

Jay Member

Hi, I am looking at a property which is at the back of an aquatic centre, sharing the same fence.
    I am looking for any views/insights on if there is any problem/issues to consider when buying such a property.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Make sure you have flood insurance?

The Y-man and UrbanDingo like this.
  3. Jerry O

Jerry O Well-Known Member

i will be more concerned about the noise and possibly a lot of cars in and out of the street will make it a busy street very quickly.

4. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

If it backs onto the aquatic centre then it's unlikely there will be any traffic effect in the IP's street.

If the car park backs onto the fence there could be vehicle noise - but likely to be minimal - no burnouts or revving of engines. If it's a training pool those cars could start at 5.30am and continue till 9pm.

If it's an outdoor splash around style pool there could be yelling from excited kids on weekends and holidays. Same if it's used by schools.

Jerry O likes this.
  5. Jerry O

Jerry O Well-Known Member

Very true.
    Kids tend to scream their lungs out when next to a pool just to show their excitement. I'm sure my friend's kids do anyway. :p

6. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Noise - think about equipment, pumps, compressors etc. They'll run 24/7. Depends how attuned you are to that kind of noise and where the equipment room is in relation to the property.

Smell - I cycle passed a small aquatic center from time to time and some days the chlorine smell is very strong.

My PPOR is next door to a dentist and the background hum of the compressor drives me mad, it only runs during work hours so not really an issue but occasionally they forget to shut it off and I have to call them when I get home form work to come back and shut it down.

7. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Is it open or enclosed aquatic centre? When I used to train it was either mornings from 6am or afternoons from 4, and plenty of whistles and noise

8. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

I'm with @Propagate on chlorine smell.
    Not so much a drama if it's an IP, but for a PPOR not so much. Long term exposure to such smells sometimes gives me headaches. But that could just be my bloodhound sense of smell.

9. Jay

Jay Member

Thanks you all for the valuable input/insights. Certainly lot of factors with such property especially when buying for PPOR.