Buy Premium PPOR Strategy

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by homeland, 21st Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I would love my home to be 3 mill in the near future... don't think it would happen though.
    Where will the money come from to support these house prices?

2. homeland

homeland Active Member

Thanks @Terry_w i'm good student, Learning quick from the MASTER:D

pm regarding the Q

3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Yeah, so when you say "retire, use the equity to invest" how is that gonna work, access the equity via a loan or are you going to sell the PPOR when you retire?

4. homeland

homeland Active Member

You can take a personal loan for your living expenses, by todays retirement 100k pa for 4m assets or investment loan both against the equity, who knows what the banks will offer in the future, maybe bitcoins. by then debt free, basically you will live on the equity and use your PPOR as capital gain cash machine or have the option to sell as well if you wish.

Last edited: 23rd Apr, 2020
  5. homeland

homeland Active Member

are you calling CoreLogic spruikers?
    Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 11.12.07 am.png

6. homeland

homeland Active Member

if you mean to unlock your available equity, you can use this calculator

Equity Loan Calculator - How Much Equity Do I Have? | RAMS

Math
    Property Bank Valuation x 80% then less loan amount left = Unlocked available Equity

Property Bank Valuation: 3m x 80% = 2.4m
    Loan Remain: 1.4m
    Unlocked available Equity: 2.4m-1.4m = 1m

if you need to unlock more then 80% LMI charges apply

cheers

7. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Ah when you explain it, the math sounds to simple! Just valuation less loan! So lenders will just always lend you the difference for whatever you want! The mortgage brokers always tell me no.......

2FAST4U, Lindsay_W and Archaon like this.
  8. homeland

homeland Active Member

good question, depend the cashflow or what happen in between

9. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

That is the important part because it would be great if you got 8% but you may not so you could be stuck there until the value lifted and you need to know if you are happy with that etc. I would plan it on a numbe rof different growth scenarios and see what the outcome would be for each.

10. homeland

homeland Active Member

You have a "5m PPOR with little debt and brokers tell you no" then you must have serviceability issue.

11. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Lol the problem with generic % increase based modelling is that it makes it sound like the best thing to do is throwing as much cash as you can at the most expensive property you can find.

Lindsay_W and Archaon like this.
  12. homeland

homeland Active Member

i know, will try different scenarios thank you. i calculated and have 6 years of repayments with no income in between, this is my gamble, just need 1-2 good years for that period.

13. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Are you asking for advise on your strategy or giving it?

Sure, if you could bank on 8% growth you may have a chance.

What are the upside markers that suggest we will boom after covid (or that it will go away in any capacity) apart from past indicators of boom after war time?

The saying "past performance is not an indicator of future performance" springs to mind.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  14. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

So why shouldnt everyone just max out their borrowing capacity buying the most expensive property they can afford? CG free, 8% a year, cashout as required.

Lindsay_W and Gockie like this.
  15. homeland

homeland Active Member

asking for advice and sharing my thoughts.

no one knows, everyone need luck sometime its not pure science or facts, otherwise we will not need to be here if we knew.

16. homeland

homeland Active Member

Everyone is different and has its own way that suits them, some like to invest in IP, Shares, PPOR Bitcoins..etc this is how we are. i was basing CG 8% in average doesn't mean it will perform 8% i came here to get an advice and seek to know the experience and results from those one who used that strategy. no one said its easy it took me a year to find the right property and when i saw it i know it was the one. what you see now is just the cream of years failing over and over again, but i was persistent and kept going.

17. homeland

homeland Active Member

This post is about Premium PPOR Strategy, everyone going on the 8% it was just indicative rate for illustration. i think for everyone we should focus on the actual strategy so we can know more about it from other members experience and result using this strategy.
    Thank you

Lindsay_W likes this.
  18. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

At the heart of it my view is the strategy is about maximising exposure. I think you need to consider marginal utility of the asset though.

That is, is it the most efficient use of capital and servicing having a $3m OO compared to having the equivalent $3m in invested assets?

Lots to consider; growth outlook, how much growth is delivered via value add, diversification, consider CGT implications in some of your ideas, etc

homeland likes this.
  19. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

To have an expensive main residence means you are tying up more capital, but this is capital that can be mortgaged for borrowings that are used for investment purposes. The main residence is virtually the only CGT free asset that a person can have (one that goes up in value that is).

So slowly upgrading to bigger and more expensive houses can allow for a tax free windfall upon retirement when the house is sold tax free and you move into your investment property with the biggest capital gains - which are then wiped out upon your death.

In the meantime you can borrow against the main residence, often at lower main residence rates, to fund investments in investment properties and shares - which both might be leveraged but unmortgaged.

So I think it can be a great strategy but if you do it too big too soon you could be struggling to just keep up with the minimum repayments and might be unable to debt recycle as a result.

20. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Ok now you got me really confused
    So you take a personal loan to pay for living expenses and live on equity in retirement? :confused:
    Do you mean invest the equity from the PPOR into income generating assets along the way so you can generate $100K in passive income from said investments which you can then retire on? Or do an equity release, park the funds in an offset, pay off the loan in full via business income, then use the equity to live on once the debt has been cleared? Or somethin else entirely?

No I didn't mention core logic at all, I said spruikers use a growth rate of 7% year on year in their sales pitch - ie. using 8% is a bit... optimistic, especially in the next 5 years but that's not what this post is about.
    Anyway good luck with it all, just tryin to get my head around it sorry to de-rail the thread.

fritzsticker and The Y-man like this.