QLD Buy Now.. Pay 5 years later

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by KinG3o0o, 1st Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Just an instalment contract.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Wonder how the risk of settlement is dealt with. I imagine developer is really anticipating that some fail to settle and all the gain goes to them.

The bigger problem however is GST. Developer is bound to report and pay it all on the first instalment eg when $60K is paid. So almost all of the cash is taken by the ATO. What is in it for a developer ? (A smart one at least)
    ATO ID 2004/181 - Is the entity, a property developer, required to apply the attribution rules in accordance with section 29-5 of the A New Tax System (Goods and Services Tax) Act 1999 (GST Act) and attribute all the GST payable on its taxable supply of land to the tax period in which it receives the first instalment payment from the purchaser?

What occurs if the sale fails to occur ? GST previously paid may be outside period and time to amend. Lost perhaps ?

The Developer likely may lose full or partial entitlement to GST on the build too. Since the supply is mixed (sale by instalment but also input taxed rents). I havent seen a ruling but imagine it would be needed to support a claim for GST on the build.

If a developer tried to use this arrangement to argue rents were earned for five years and hence no GST on sale I would think the ATO would attack it as a scheme. Supply attributes to the time of the first instalment and so the 5 years rule wouldnt work.

Given that some contracts now require the buyer to withhold and remit GST at settlement this could even be a concern.

4. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

Hi

I wish I could find someone to sell me acreage in Victoria on these terms.

Regards,

alicudi

rook2017 likes this.
  5. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

It's good to see developer's getting creative to help move the last stock in the development. This will trigger installment contract provisions which means buyers will have protections under the Property Law Act 1974 (Qld)

6. cheekykoon

cheekykoon Well-Known Member

Interesting, I would be most interested in this arrangement.

7. Jane Ridder

Jane Ridder Well-Known Member

The 'arrangement' may look ok, but are you sure that a unit in this 228 lot development in Brisbane is the best investment for you?

8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Is that similar to the rent to buy stuff and where you are banking of defaults so you keep everything ?

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

No. It is like a 42 day settlement period extended to potentially 30 years with the purchaser taking possession before settlement.