Buy a business to create cashflow

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by melbourne171, 1st May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

Many investors have a lot of IP equity but poor cash flow/serviceability to add more IP into the portfolio. What do you think about using IP equity to buy a cash cow business to improve cash flow?

Niche likes this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Sure. I bought part ownership of some banks.

The Y-man

3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yeah good idea but what business? Don’t forget there’s this corona thing floating about.

Gypsyblood, Jmillar and melbourne171 like this.
  4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Over the last 12 months, that has been one of the best way to destroy one’s net worth and reduce one’s income :p.

iloveqld likes this.
  5. The Y-man

Of course it hasn't been great for me ~ since I bought before the Big P :oops: A big pharma would have of course been the correct pick!

However, I still firmly believe the Big 4 will continue to be decent money makers into the future (my shopping centre bet is even more out there right? Pandemics, amazon....everything against them :p).

But let's face it - if I had bought some small biz, it might very well be totally out of biz by now! :eek:

To the OP - here's my view - many people think "small" in terms of buying a business.
    They miss the blindingly obvious which is buying a "big" business.
    A big business has long term history (financially and commercially) - a small one often does not. A big business has leverage, buying power, selling power, competitive power. They have capital to develop alternative offerings (yes sorry, I've been marking assignments on Porter's 5 forces...)

For sure with a small biz you might be able to own it outright - but usually if that was the case, you might was well start your own.

If you are going to have a share in the ownership, IMHO you might as well have a share in a huge company. For me, I would rather have a part ownership in a company and leaving it to experienced managers to run the thing.

Just as with the small company, if things go well, the value of the company goes up. Unlike a small company, shares in a big company can be sold relatively easily (assuming it is listed). Shares in a small company are comparatively hell difficult to sell.

If the company makes money, I get my share of the profits.

It's the same view I have taken with commercial props - I posted a thread earlier:
    JVs but not REITS

The Y-man

Blueskies, lettert and LeeM like this.
  6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Why not start a business rather than buy one.

Gladys and Subodh Shirodkar like this.
  7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

How to build a small Business

Buy a Big one :)

ta
    rolf

House, Diesel1990, Gypsyblood and 8 others like this.
  8. The Y-man

@datto is the master of that one - I believe he does "cash crops" not "cash cows" tho....

The Y-man

9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Nor me.

I am still down 24% since 19-Feb. My five worst performers are four banks and one REIT, all down 30+% and dividends will be smashed for next 1+ years.

But I am not worried. That is exactly why one should have significant cash reserves.
    One of the biggest risk with owning a small business has always been the risk of going belly-up. The best defence against that risk is to have significant cash reserves as many business owners are learning right now.

But big businesses have the same risk. Ask Virgin.

How many big businesses are doing SPP right now (with discounted share prices) to shore up their balance sheets. I am aware of COH and RHC (both in the heath sector) as I own some of their shares.
    For me, it is all about risk and reward.

With small business, it is high risk and high reward.

With big business, it is lower risk and lower reward.

My experience (I owned four in my working life) has been that one will typically make a lot more money (growth and income) from a really successful small business than from a really successful big business.

And that is the way it should be:- owning a small business is long hours, hard work, high risk, massive stress, ...

But in retirement, I do enjoy owning (a share of) a big business :D.

House, oracle and Lauren350 like this.
  10. The Y-man

Agree. However, the OP's requirement was to boost income levels (I assume short term) to improve serviceability - I see starting/growing a biz as a slightly longer term (due to banks not recognising income until a number of years tax returns are shown.....)?

The Y-man

kierank likes this.
  11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Absolutely. And you can buy the business as a going concern. Why not? There’s probably a franchise idea in it.... could call it ”Datto’s Dope......anyone with a wardrobe can be in business”

Cousinit and kierank like this.
  12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

You could always look at it from the ''Legal'' side and just buy into the medical side as most of those companies are price wise at all time bottom end prices from the several that i still hold..

Rather then a cheap faulty light in a old cupboard that ends up burning the house down and your insurance tells you no can do after the Police and Fire report ,or move to Canberra ..
    [​IMG]

datto likes this.
  13. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I think medicinal cannabis is still in it's infancy. Too man hurdles to get a script. When these problems with acquisition are overcome then pot companies will blossom.

14. The Y-man

Then you get a blurring between the big pharmas and big farmas....

The Y-man

ShireBoy, Tom Rivera and datto like this.
  15. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Why not start a business, instead of paying someone a multiple on cooked books?

16. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

Yes why not? Spend a bit of time researching your area of business. Even an Amazon business where you can build your own brand and eventually sell it if you want to and so on.

17. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

If the goal is to assist serviceability the benefit won't be immediate, 2 years down the track yes

18. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

Two year waiting is not too bad if business can generate $100K+ net income pa and boost significant serviceability level for your borrow capacity. Wage earners do not easily raise salary by $100K in 2 years

Lindsay_W and Terry_w like this.
  19. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Yeah for sure! Never said it was bad, just not immediate ;)

20. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

The difficulty with the op suggestion is that if businesses were that lucrative, there would always be someone prepared to accept a lower return which would make the purchase of your business unviable. 12 years ago I was offered $10 million for my business which would have netted the buyer slightly less than 10%. He bought so many other businesses that he went bust and the vendors got their businesses back for 30c in the dollar 2 years later.
    The best business is a side hustle that develops. Do a search on side hustle threads.

Cousinit, oracle, MTR and 1 other person like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia