Business Structure ?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by hillsguy, 16th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hillsguy

hillsguy Well-Known Member

Hi all, interested in others input on situation before engaging professional ...

Husband (ie-me) works full time.

My wife is a 'stay at home mum' and has now considerable stock portfolio under her name and is keen on buying IP's with a view to renovating.

Should we be looking at structuring under a trust to assist with tax benefits ? I see all the articles on asset protection however because we don't run or have plans to run a business not sure why we would be interested in this.

I prefer to keep things simple but with substantial income now I am starting to scratch my head.

Any constructive input much appreciated.

2. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Impossible to advise!
    Renovating IPs with a view for what... buy and sell so to flip....then you run a business...tax implications and asset implications (can be sued or go bankrupt, etc...)?
    To keep and upgrade and to rent out...then you do not run a business, you just invest. Still tax implications and asset implications as above.
    Will you need finance or just use the funds from stocks? Trusts cannot make losses...well...unless offset other trusts.
    Hence will you too be in that structure for tax purposes or stay away?
    IMHO, you certainly need a profession advise it is impossible to advise on such limited information but more importantly on what you really wish to achieve!

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

First quantify the tax benefits
    Then consider the other legal issues, both pros and cons

then seek legal advice.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

And this is not a business structure, because there appears to be no business involved. Ownership structure.