Business for Bayview

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Lizzie, 22nd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Miss Monopoly

Miss Monopoly Well-Known Member

What about a caravan park exclusively for grey nomads. I know there used to be one in Carnarvon (WA) that was always booked out by the oldies that didn't want to stay in parks where there were "children".
    We are a young family that caravan most school holidays and while most of the oldies are great there are a few that would jump at a chance to stay somewhere without kids. I reckon they would even pay a premium to stay there

Another thought........what about investing in a number of new start ups. There are a lot of people out there with great business ideas but need capital to start up. You could put up a small amount of capital for a share of the business and then let them run the business and take your cut each week. Frees up your own time to search for new prospects and gives someone else an opportunity to have a go. When they become successful you still get your cut and also the opportunity to sell your share of the business down the track when profits have grown. You could end up having shares in dozens of businesses as there really is no limit.......a bit like that show Sharktank

Bayview likes this.
  2. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Ummm. No offence but it seems like you think all start up busineelsses are sucesful

The failure rate is something like 90% in the first 5 years.

James_w likes this.
  3. Pursefattener

Pursefattener Well-Known Member

I know that statistic for failure rate gets thrown about a lot but I think the use of the word fail can be a bit misleading . If a business is purchased by a competitor and closed down is that a fail ? What about someone who closes a business down to retire , another fail ?
    Do you know what I mean ?

I would think of a failed business in more real terms of running out of money , customers etc .

4. Pursefattener

Not saying starting a new business is easy , by the way ! Far from it ...

5. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Sounds familiar.

jim1964 likes this.
  6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The reference was to startup businesses. 90% of them completely fail. Not bought out, not sold. Just disappear down the gurgler without a trace. And that's an optimistic figure. I've heard 95%.

Most of the remaining will survive, perhaps make a little money.

Perhaps 1% will make a huge profit.

A company I worked with in Colombia invests in startups. They work hard with the startups to brint the failure rate up from 95% to 90%.

But on average, due to that 1%, they make $5 for every $1 invested in that big range of startups.

It's a very risky strategy, and one that can work if you have sufficient capital to invest in a spread.

Not investing in, or working for, a startup. As I am doing.

7. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I like this idea, but I think it is reserved for the folks who've got spare money to play with that they can afford to lose.

That is not me right now. We will have a decent chunk of cash after our PPoR settles next month, but I would only consider buying into an existing profitable business that needs some capital for expansion or whatever, that they possibly can't obtain through normal lending channels.

8. Miss Monopoly

Miss Monopoly Well-Known Member

I totally agree with the small percentage of startups that actually survive. If it was that easy everyone would be doing it.

That's where your due diligence comes in to play, like they say when investing in property you don't go out and just buy the first property that you see, you research an area ,inspect 100 houses, find 2 or 3 that are good deals and end up with 1. After a while you get better at finding good deals in that area as you have built up your knowledge of that area and you know the numbers.

Business is the same, you have to look at the numbers, if it stacks up then go for it. The tv show Sharktank is a perfect example of this, the judges (Sharks) know within a few minutes if the business being pitched is worth investing in. They may not know the industryor product but if the numbers work they fight each other to get a share. Most times the answer is no from all judges.

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I've had one very successful businesses that I've closed down due to shipping costs being to high for my main market (that turned out to be the USA) ... they didn't fail ... far from it ...

Had another business that got thru to the proto-type stage with a pretty nifty product range ... I wanted to use recycled raw materials, but they became to hard to source. I could've made the product with new material cheaper, but that didn't fit my profile of what I wanted to achieve ... in the end I simply ran out of "puff" to keep pursuing ... and - oh look - squirrel ...

So that's two of my businesses no longer operating.

Esh likes this.
  10. Pursefattener

Another thing I notice is that failure rate is much higher in some sectors than others .

Seems to me that lots of things can happen to stop a business prospect startup apart from all the obvious stuff like cashflow , profitability , legal , customers etc . Like death , divorce , drought , fire etc etc .

None of that would stop me wanting to do a start up though .