TAS burnie vs launceston

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by erica 1, 9th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. erica 1

erica 1 Member

I am again looking at an investment property in Tasmania. Last time I looked Launceston seemed like a good option for the price. I was looking at Trevellyn, Kings Meadows, invermay. This was a couple of years ago and the prices have increased so I have decided to look at Burnie. I believe that there is going to be an international port being developed as I would guess more infrastructure. I really do not know anything about the burnie market or good/ bad places to buy. From just having a look I thought, Parklands, somerset, Montello, and cooee. Any feedback would be great.

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just be wary, it could be now close to peak, and market sentiment changing. One of the easiest ways to lose capital?

I could be wrong, but this is what I am hearing from experts, market is changing

3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Even with the boom in Tassie, Burnie hasn't grown much.

4. hwbesqu

hwbesqu Active Member

Hi, I lived/worked/owned property in Burnie (moved back to the mainland in 2012) I lived in Montello - I would avoid it - drug stigma. Somerset is a little town between Burnie and Wynyard - I wouldn't buy there- tenants would be reliant on cars, and its rather shabby. If you had your heart set on buying I would suggest Burnie CBD, Parklands (good accessibility to town/newer builds/access to Stella Maris college). However all said I wouldn't invest there. There is minimal employment to support the population; high crime rates; properties can take over 12 months to sell if you need to offload-property prices are cheap for a reason.

ellejay likes this.
  5. yoyo_guitarist

yoyo_guitarist Well-Known Member

MTR likes this.
  6. Patrico1966

Patrico1966 Well-Known Member

There is still reasonable turnover in Burnie, but have to agree with some of the above comments. Hobart and Launceston are still selling well and Devonport and Burnie are getting some off the pigs back as the two larger cities get too expensive. Somerset infrastructure has improved and Wynyard is selling well as the councils splash some money around.

7. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Burnie - really? Really?

Launceston I understand - mini Melbs, bit cheaper, easy to get in and out of...

Hobart same thing - better employment prospects, university precinct on top of that...

Long term car reliant town with little job prospects in the near-term 10 year future looks pretty grim.

8. Prospekta.mf

Prospekta.mf Member

Some great looking little houses in Launceston with potential 5% rental yields, anyone know the place well ? I was researching some properties in Mowbray near the Uni, very solid looking older style houses under $300K.