Burke Street Shooting

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 20th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

The real question is if he makes it to court alive, and if he does, how many days in jail he survives.

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. jim1964

jim1964 1941

As a society, we have gone soft, too much political correctness, too much blame everybody/anybody else but me,do the crime,do the time.

alexm and willair like this.
  3. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

@sanj , I like your posts and thoughts. You provide a different view which is great. Call me when you're next in Sydney so we can catch up. I'm sure dinner will be fun :)

I think it is partly political in terms of where our society has headed however the other part is personal responsibility. Why should people who do serious crimes like this be offered the opportunity to rehabilitate? These types of crimes are beyond 'someone made a mistake..' and this is where I think more serious actions need to be taken.

I wasn't directing my original post specifically to you however can I ask in this instance, would your viewpoint change if your loved one's were lying in the morgue now?

sanj likes this.
  4. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

One thing I can't understand with most of these terrible acts is how these people are still actually on the streets after they have committed numerous crimes and have a history of violence etc

I pulled this of site below..

Custody and Bail | Magistrates' Court of Victoria

Custody and Bail

Bail
    Persons charged with offences who are held in custody can be released upon entering an undertaking called "bail" to appear before the Court at a later date.

In some circumstances a Police Sergeant or the officer in charge of a police station may grant bail to a person held in custody, otherwise the person held in custody must be brought before a Court (or a Bail Justice if outside court sitting hours) to determine whether bail should be granted or refused.

The court will refuse bail if there is an unacceptable risk that the person charged will not be appear on the specified day at court, or when it is thought that the person may commit other offences whilst on bail, endanger the public, interfere with witnesses or otherwise obstruct the course of justice.

Surely the last paragraph above sums up the current weakness within our justice system,if they are a risk to endanger the public they should not receive bail.

Whilst locking them away may not rehabilitate them it removes their ability to harm others around them..

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The advantages of hindsight. When a person has been rearrested you know quite clearly that they were a risk. How is it possible to be able to predict beforehand?
    ... Until they get released.

TMNT likes this.
  6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

My guess is they missed and got his arm.

7. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

As if that isn't the case now :rolleyes:

8. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

I suppose that if you are an Ice addict then that should be taken into account in your bail hearing.

yes = No bail.

No = Evaluate other alternatives.

9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I too understand how you feel. It's Natural to feel that. However do you get all worked up for any other murder case?

Looking at things objectively. He's killed 3 and injured 20 or there abouts.

Terrible incident but 3 deaths occur all the time.

He should be punished like every other person who does a similar crime and to take into consideration his circumstances.

If we all got emotionally worked up in every case. Everytime a person stole a packet of chips (think of the children) wed be locking up them and throwing away the key

10. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I personally don't think I've contributed anything to society
    In fact I'm putting burdens on there. Admittedly I don't use more tax payer funded resources compared to the average Joe

11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm an expert on jail or what goes on. But why would he be targeted in jail.? Plenty of people in there with far worse crimes?

Or is it like a reality TV show in there? The more notoriety you get the more success you have like Kardashian

12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Exactly. People just get on the bandwagon to associate blame.

Sometimes the judges seem to make ludicrous decisions but sometimes its just bad luck

We can't just lock up everyone and throw away the key who even jaywalks

But there needs to be consistency and a guideline

13. Ted Varrick

TMNT, with respect I disagree. This particular case can hardly be described as an example of "every case".

I dont think comparing somebody who has deliberately, and it wasnt any accident, run down a bunch of people, murdered 5 of those and injured 30 or so, compared with stealing packets of chips.

This assumes that I'm not taking your post out of context.

If he is punished like "every other person who does a similar crime" (your words), the perpetrators of similar crimes, but different vehicles, for example in Nice and Berlin, were shot by law enforcement officers, for their actions were deliberate and intended, just like Burke St.

On the other hand, and I'm finding it difficult to feel sympathy for the accused, given the evidence doesnt seem ambiguous in any way, and perhaps, should a jury find him guilty as charged, then I'm sure a judge would consider that he should be treated exactly as you describe, maybe like Martin Bryant, Neddy Smith and Ivan Milat, and drop him in a hole.

14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I have no sympathy for the accused. The reality is that he killed deliberstely 3 people injured heaps. And his actions are for seen to anybody that will cause harm. So treat him like a murderer. So in the aus legal system anywhere from 15 years to life (according to what I've seen in the past)

I don't like it when people get special treatment good or bad because of their race, gender, attractiveness, agenda, nature of the crime etc. Etc.

When that woman in Brunswick was killed the uproar was amazing. People protesting. News reports. Movements. Etc

Yet woman are killed more than once in a blue moon and yet the media and public don't bat an eyelid.

Very poor form in my opinion

15. Ted Varrick

Fair enough.

16. lewy89

lewy89 Well-Known Member

The whole idea of prison is to 'rehabilitate'. I can't comprehend why we spend millions of tax payer dollars on people who will never 'rehabilitate' enough to live in society safely...

17. Ted Varrick

Lewy, so what do you propose?

18. lewy89

lewy89 Well-Known Member

Kill them

Or at least make prison life absolutely unbearable. Im talking hard labour in extreme heat with no comforts whatsoever.

Last edited: 29th Jan, 2017
  19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Average Joe doesn’t have a string of -ve geared property to claim middle class welfare.

[​IMG]

TMNT likes this.
  20. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't consider pharmaceutical/medical testing unethical for people that have taken away other people's lives or innocence. Would be more productive than rehabilitating those who can't and don't deserve to be rehabilitated

lewy89 likes this.