Burke Street Shooting

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 20th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Where's the compassion? He's got a mum, a brother (albeit he stabbed him) and probably a string of kids and ex'es in Windsor, Frankston and Point Cook.

2. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

I got some more compassion. He isn't singularly responsible, necessarily. We as a society have failed in making drugs unavailable. And the sellers of the drugs are equally responsible. Since the gov has failed in policing effectively, I cannot understand why the gov does not want to acknowledge its failure and as a remedial measure go the Singaporean way and institute death penalty for drug peddlers. Either the fear will keep them off the streets, or the death will.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Or for the lure of $$$ anyone desperate for cash will take the risk as a drug mule.

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sad day for all the family of those poor people in the wrong place at the wrong time..aussie B that will not work the death penalty the only way that will work is send the big players back too their own country which has the death penalty when they import hard drugs into our Country..

5. TaylorTako

TaylorTako Active Member

This rat doesn't deserve life. Doesn't deserve a comfortable cell to rest in for the rest of his life.

So sick of soft government approaches and social justice warriors.. Why should he have an opportunity to reform when he's taken the lives of innocent people. Where's their chance?

The situation makes me sick, I feel for the families of those lost and I think the justice system needs a rehaul. Pathetic.

6. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

I understand the natural instinct to feel the above, I do as well.

There is very little evidence to suggest harsher sentencing and jailing would lead to improvements, if anything it is likely to cause more problems.

The countries with the lowest recidivist rates tend to be the ones taking the complete opposite approach to the whole lock them up throw away the key method say America uses and that is clearly failing them

TMNT likes this.
  7. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if he has some value to his family at all, after stabbing his own brother and assaulting his own mum. I doubt he even provides support to his kids or ex'es. I also don't think he should be detained comfortably in a prison.

8. Ko Ko Naing

Harsher sentencing will definitely give a warning sign to those who want to follow similar path as this guy.

9. sanj

A lot evidence, be it anecdotal, actual stats comparing the punish at all costs vs trying to ensure offender is rahbilitsted and so is less likely to be a recidivist criminal, and many in depth studies by subject experts point to the opposite.

Focusing purely on punishing actually ends up punishing the rest of society too, need to decide if revenge is more important than fixing the problem

10. sanj

Let's say we go with your approach and do indeed ensure all similar criminals have a very harsh prison sentence as well as longer ones.

Out of 100 how many do you think will be scared straight vs come out more demented than before? It also means that the underlying issues causing some of this behaviour is not being remotely addressed and so it would be hardly surprising for the behaviour to keep occuring once released.

Not at all suggested all these criminals can be "fixed" but like I said it's not relevant what yours or my opinion is when there is decades of actual evidence comparing the various approaches

11. Ko Ko Naing

The offender has just punished innocents without realising. I can't imagine the feeling of the family, who suffered the loss. I strongly believe that the lives of the 4 dead, including 10-year old child is way more valuable than the offender. I feel so sorry for those families.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  12. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

The Philippine way is very extreme.

13. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

I feel for the families of those dead and injured.

I believe that it would be extremely difficult for them not to reach some kinds of very unpleasant conclusions for the (alleged) offender.

14. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

The Phillipine way ensures they don't do it twice at least..

15. sanj

You still miss the point. It isnt about the lives of the 4 being more valuable than the offender, I certainly agree with that notion
    There is more than triple the chance of an American or Aussie prisoner repeating the offence than there is a German, ditch or Norwegian prisoner and all those countries take the complete opposite approach to prison than what some are advocating here.

If the argument is what about his victims then it would do us all well to consider how many more future victims there will be if current approach to incarceration continuesy

16. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I also got some more compassion and we as a society have failed in making drugs unavailable. And the sellers of the drugs are equally responsible. Since the gov has failed in policing effectively, I cannot understand why the gov does not want to acknowledge its failure and legalise drugs.

Make pharmaceutically pure drugs available to addicts and cut back on the crime which is committed due to drugs being illegal in the first place. The US is now starting to realise it's failure which is why marijuana is now legal in more than half of the American states. Harder drugs will follow once people can get their head around it, just like they did when the era of Prohibition ended and alcohol became legal again.

willair likes this.
  17. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

I agree. I wonder if people advocating social and prison 'rights' (if I can call it that) would think the same if one of their loved one's is now lying in a morgue as a result of this individual?

Our society in general has moved too much to the left and is 'soft' in many regards.

Atleast this forum has level headed members on both sides of the debate providing an interesting debate.

18. sanj

Again, nothing to do with left and right. Do some bloody research first before speaking completely incorrectly about the topic at hand.

In Germany for example, a country which on every metric available is doing a better job of ensuring criminals don't become repeat offenders, the prison system and policies are run completely independently of part politics, left and right has nothing to do with it.

Keep trying though, even a broken clock is right twice a day

19. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

They should close of Bourke street, get everyone back there, give them all cricket bats and let him lose.

Chrispy and Ardi like this.
  20. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

So somebody does something wrong. In some cases, people who haven't done anything wrong. And our solution is to put them into a small box for some years, surrounded by a whole heap of criminals to tech them everything they ever need to know about crime, and isolated from friends and family. And then we put them back into society. This is going to make them better people?

sanj likes this.