Bunnings v Masters

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by jins13, 20th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I checked out the new Masters Home in Northmead and was surprised with the quality of their range and products. Wish I had more time to have a more thoroughly look. As a general comment would it be wrong to say Bunnings for IPs and Masters for PPOR? I found the prices for Masters to be alittle more expensive and better quality.

2. Matty77

Matty77 Active Member

I find Bunnings way better then Masters, although I haven't looked at the new format stores that Masters has just redone, or as they call it "Masters 2.0" but from what comments I can gather is all they have done is make it more like Bunnings and less like an American looking store... apparently though sales are up 30% in their new format stores, which I find VERY hard to believe.

Bunnings first, if they don't have it then ill go to Masters. Having said that I have bought some stuff from Masters when Bunnings just didn't have the right stuff for me, but that is really rare.

I dunno why such negative media about Bunnings lately, i guess its tall poppy syndrome, we love to make our successes failures as much as possible in Australia....

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

from a very low base.

joel likes this.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Mitre 10 where possible. Most stores are privately owned and I'd rather support a local business owner who is likely buying from other local businesses.

joel, Sonamic, devank and 3 others like this.
  5. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Masters stack their timber neat on the racks which is good. The only downfall with masters is they don't stock a few of the major tool brands makita, dewalt etc. also materials are a bit dearer but I think they price match.

Elives likes this.
  6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Same, I hate going to bunnings. Local mitre 10, better service all round. Too bad the ones close to me have been knocked down to make way for otp units.

7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I also love making them price beat each other! Saves me 10%

8. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

Mitre 10 stores buying from other "local" businesses is a thing of the past. Most suppliers service M10, Bunnings and even Masters now. Only exceptions may be plants/timber. Many M10 stores are also being bought back by headoffice.
    Bunnings/Masters buy a lot of their products from "local businesses" too by the way. They do have select product which they source themselves but these wouldn't make up 20% of their stores.

Matty77 likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Hardware & General is the go in Sydney.

10. QbiK Evolution

QbiK Evolution Well-Known Member

Bunnings for me. They are closer and I've been there that many times I know the store back to front. Sometimes I'm there 4 or 5 times in one weekend and the missus loves that. I always feel lost and not quite right when I walk into masters haha.

11. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Sure they get stuff from the same big suppliers. But they also get stock from small local suppliers. Things like plants, potting mix, water tanks, garden sheds etc

I am biased because my family owned a mitre 10 until recently and always tried to support other local suppliers.

12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I bought a lot of stuff for my last reno from Masters. I particularly liked their lights (which Bunnings doesn't sell) and taps, better range than Bunnings and better prices. I bought a lot of stuff from Bunnings too, so it depends on the product I guess.

13. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

Just a WA thing thanks to the trading laws, Bunnings on the east coast stock just as many interior light fittings

Perthguy likes this.
  14. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I like our local Masters because no one seems to go :) I can cruise around without the swarms of people that tend to head to bunnings.

Pier1 and Chrispy like this.
  15. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Bunnings for me. It's about a minute drive from where I live. Kids love the newly opened maccas next to bunnings.

16. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Inside, Masters looks tidier, more polished and well organised, which may be down to the fact that employees don't have the inconvenience of customers.

Then again I like Artarmon Bunnings because I can browse the aisles in relative peace while all the staff are gathered in a bunch somewhere sharing funny stories and having a laugh

Last edited: 21st Oct, 2015
    Jess Peletier and WattleIdo like this.
  17. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Is that 4or5 times for the sausage sandwich lol

18. Ben Chifley

Ben Chifley Well-Known Member

Masters is okay, there's one down the road from me and I've visited a few times (always guaranteed a park!). I like it - I think some of the mark-downs and specials are much better than Bunnings and they have an interesting range. The problem is that Bunnings is more familiar and I know exactly where the things I want will be. It will be a shame if Lowe's pull out of the Masters venture because some competition is a good thing.

19. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Every time I've gone to Masters, I've been served by someone half my age who has no idea what they're talking about. The number of times they've said they don't have an item when they actually do..

Chilliblue likes this.
  20. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

There was a big sign promoting the sausage sandwich in Masters Northmead. It was pretty empty and from the latest news, they may be going under. I found it was fascinating that you could buy a vaccum cleaner, dishwasher and etc all in the one store.

They also seem to be busy with the kitchen installation as they can't do any installations till feb. They charge $49 for a consultant to go to your place to measure and provide advice on your kitchen specifications. Can customise everything to include splashback, Caesar stone, tiles and etc.