Bullying

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Howstheserenity67, 13th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Howstheserenity67

Howstheserenity67 New Member

hi there, I started with my employer 5 years ago and did reception for 12 months which involved doing holiday rentals as part of the job description. I then became the property manager to manage permanent residential rentals. We have gone through a few receptionists and for some time did not have one as the boss decided we didn’t need one anymore. They have told me I need to do them and I have said that I would not as it’s not my job anymore. Can they make me take on that roll or not?? As I am now being bullied into doing the job.

2. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

What does your employment contract state?

Generally, a contract will state that you are to work to the best of your ability in the best interest of the company employing you.
    In smaller businesses, roles may vary and you are expecting multi task or assist in other areas where required, within reason.

Provided you are not being overworked, what is the problem with helping out with some reception work?

Tom Rivera and Marg4000 like this.
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

If you have the time to fit it in why not?

If there is no full time work available for the reception job and you are unwilling to take it on then a logical step would be to create a position for reception work plus your work and termiate your contract.

Owners will protect their business not your job

Ace in the Hole and Marg4000 like this.
  4. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I've got a workmate who started under me in one role. That role changed so he ended up doing something else. That role changed too and he ended up doing something else again.....he's ended up doing nearly every job in the organisation and because of that he is now the most employable person there.

Being flexible can really work in your favour.

I'd do it with a smile.

Adele, wylie, Tim86 and 5 others like this.
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

How can that be bullying? Bullying is far more serious, and trivialising the term does not help anyone.

You have been asked to take on additional tasks. So long as you have the time, where is the problem? Jobs constantly evolve as businesses grow or contract, particularly small businesses with relatively few employees. If there is a task to do, someone has to do it.

I always liked working for a small business as there was so much more variety in the things to be done.

And here's an idea.... if there is something that needs doing, volunteer to do it without being asked. Best way to advance your future career prospects and enhance your value as an employee.
    Marg

Ace in the Hole likes this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It sounds like it is the holiday rentals that are being added - or is it reception too?

Most work contracts will have a general clause about doing other activities at the request of the employer.

You don't generally have the right to refuse just because you don't want to do a role that is consistent with your main role.

If you were asked to do something dangerous or demeaning or if there is just too much to do, then that might be a different matter.

Contact your union or Fair Work Australia if you need to clarify.

7. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I understand the frustration but I'm not sure this is bullying. If you have time to work in reception why not do it? It's seems unlikely to me that holiday rentals will take up all your time. Having refused this, the temptation for your employer would be to find someone else to do both roles in the future. Reception is within the scope of administration and therefore property management so I doubt the union could do anything much anyway. Even if you get them involved it won't do your future much good. As long as you are safe and treated well overall I would just do the best you can and plod along.

Tim86 and Marg4000 like this.
  8. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Depending on your contract and also if it isn't then it is up to you to accept it.

However if the business cannot afford to have a receptionist and a PM so they are combing the role if you don't take it up they will likely advertise for a person for the dual role and unfortunately you position might not be needed anymore.

No offense but you are likely the lowest cost resource in the business and as such you are being given this role. As the owner is typically the highest cost resource and it doesn't make sense for the highest cost resource to do the lowest cost task.

This is business, I personally would do it as you become more valuable to the business which means better career prospects (not just at this company) but also at review time you have more negotiating power to ask for a raise - as you are more valuable than just a PM.