Bullying

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ouga, 5th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Hi guys,

So I was talking with a friend over the weekend while celebrating their little girl’s birthday. They are considering moving away from Sydney to relocate to the Sunshine Coast (they have actually been making us think really hard about it too!). He was saying he is concerned about whether his children might be the subject of more bullying over there than where they are now in Sydney: they are mixed ethnicity kids, half caucasian, half asian. His reasoning was that since Sydney has a wide mix of people from all kinds of backgrounds, his kids are more likely to blend in and not stand out as much and be labelled “different” by other kids.

I didn’t know what to say, not having experienced living in more regional areas, but I could see his point given there would be plenty of asian, caucasian, indian etc, ethnic kids in the schools in Sydney, his kids would not stand out at all and be in fact quite ordinary. That being said my personal experience when travelling there was that people were actually very friendly, perhaps more so than in a big city like Sydney.

From what I recall from my school years, apart from personality, a key to stay out of trouble was being perfectly average.

Now, of course it depends a lot on the parents, the kids, the environment, plenty of variables here, but I was curious whether anyone had some experience with this, perhaps from an ethnical background perspective, or simply whether regional areas tend to have more/less bullying problems or maybe someone has made a similar move away from a big city to a more regional center?

What are you thoughts ?

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The problem with thinking that his kids are going to be subject to bullying means that every interaction they have will be coloured by that view.

If you go looking for trouble you will usually find it.

Bullies exist everywhere.
    Marg

Phase2, WattleIdo, HUGH72 and 7 others like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Bullies are a pain in the arse but could be worse could be a stalker...

Last edited by a moderator: 6th Dec, 2016
    Xenia likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I agree with your comments.
    Also its impossible to know what will happen, adults, children get bullied at school, workplace etc. I don't think anyone goes looking for it but its out there and you can not wrap your children in cotton wool.

Xenia likes this.
  5. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I would think it'd be a bigger problem in more isolated rural areas but not somewhere like the Sunshine Coast

wylie and Xenia like this.
  6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Bullies are insecure little people that want to bring other people down so that they can feel better about themselves.

Expose them for what they are, make noise, they are powerless against anyone that stands up to them and exposes them especially in public.

They are not powerful people, strong, intergrated, spiritually connected individuals have no need or desire to destroy other human beings - ever!

Bullies are weak and they can't get their false power trips in the face of real strength.

Sackie and MTR like this.
  7. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I have lived in rural, cities and suburbs. Bullies are everywhere. The key is to educate your kids about bullying and how to handle it.

Online bullying is the latest issue for kids, and we have instructed out 15 year old son for a number of years about how to react to them - both online and in the street.

Online is easy; let them say whatever they want; in the end you can choose to react, or ignore. Just turn off the computer if you must.

On the street (or school ground); my view is get in hard, and fast...I don't ever encourage him to start any fights, but have encouraged him to defend himself.

Bullies only continue in a face to face situation if they have no resistance.

Schools need to take a much stronger stance against both types of bullying.

Phase2 and bob shovel like this.
  8. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I get that. I was referring specifically to the concerns about racism

9. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Why would you think that ? To the contrary he isolated areas are much welcoming considerate and friendly and don't judge people by their race. The teachers are always surprised at how well all the kids get on and care about each other, and on excursions people always comment on how well kids from the the country behave. I think you comment is demeaning.

10. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Do you think there is more racism/bullying in rural areas? I haven't struck it (racism) as being a problem...always an isolated incident of course; on all sides.

11. Marg4000

Again, if you view every interaction looking for racism, you may find it where it does not exist.

I had a very unpleasant experience at a large Brisbane shopping centre. I was returning to my car when I saw a young lady (?) park in a handicapped car park. No sticker or permit on her car. When I walked past, I simply told her that I was leaving and if she wanted to she could follow me to my park.

(And yes, she may have forgotten her sticker, but it is still illegal to park there unless the permit is displayed.)

In return I was screamed at and called a "racist pig" among other not so choice words.

I would have acted exactly the same if the person was white, black, red or yellow, or even purple polka dots! I have a handicapped friend and know how difficult life is for them at the best of times, let alone when able bodied people use the few parks set aside for them.
    Marg

WattleIdo likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Fargo I assume you are not referring to my comment ? .

MTR:)

Last edited: 7th Dec, 2016
  13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I think that, despite the instances we see on the media where bullying has been left to continue, that most schools are fully aware of bullying, and if teachers are aware of it, they will not let it continue- to the point of excess.

When my daughter was six, she and another girl laughed at another girl who was upside down on the monkey bars, showing her knickers. Both girls were called into the office, and we parents were called in. We were made to sit on childrens' chairs during this conference. She was suspended for 3 days for bullying. We had the suspension removed from her record on review from up higher- but the teachers were unapologetic and treated her badly for the rest of the year. We changed her school.

14. Marg4000

Sadly the term bullying is often misused.
    At worst, your daughter was teasing, and a suspension was almost certainly overkill.
    Marg

Bayview and Phase2 like this.
  15. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pick Sunshine Coast as a hotbed for racism. Us QLDers are pretty chilled, despite the One nation votes and all

Art Vandelay, wylie and Marg4000 like this.
  16. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Sunshine Coast is predominantly white. . .

17. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

You live there, you think a half asian child would suffer? That's pretty sad

18. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

In my experience working with people of many colours and backgrounds, racism comes from many directions.
    However, half Asian and half Anglo is hardly uncommon or new in this country and is usually looked upon as a beautiful combination, if noticed at all. I think the parents need to be careful what they are teaching their kids.

bob shovel and Joynz like this.
  19. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Out Mt Druitt way, bullying is almost part of the school curriculum.

And I copped my fair share of bullying due to my rather large schnoz.

It was difficult not being aesthetically correct during those formative years. The perfect nose became an obsession in life. I always thought that JFK had the perfect nose. But at the same time I thought Bruce Lee had a cool nose after watching his videos every night.

So one day I smashed my adversaries nose with a flying kick and thus I became what I am today.

Sometimes it is better to fight fire with fire.

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

ouch.... you poor darling:). but perhaps things have changed? or not? just thinking more education on this etc.