Bulls and bears of Sydney property market

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by New2prop, 11th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. New2prop

New2prop Well-Known Member

After reading an participating in a number of threads I am creating this thread to invite you to give your views on why one should buy or not buy property in Sydney in the period from August 2017 to end 2018. Please give your response as Buy reasons, Don't buy reasons, Other comments. A bullet list is preferred over long paragraphs.

Here are mine.

Buy reasons:
    - Market may decide to move up for a long period and I may miss the boat
    - Land is getting scarce in the Northwest (hills)
    - Interest rates may go higher, and other costs may make buying in future more expensive
    - Banks/ regulations may make it harder to obtain big loans in the future

Don't buy reasons:
    - Regulatory/ bank implemented changes are slowly affecting Chinese buyer demand and ability to freely access big loans which is contributing to a cooling market (seen first hand)
    - Prices are ridiculous for the land component, limiting potential capital gains opportunities
    - Mining downturn and potentially lower employment will likely affect demand
    - After tightening the belt the government and banks would have to bring down interest in the future to bring back demand to address oversupply, create jobs, increase inflation etc.,.
    - Any or all the above could create buying opportunities in the coming months