Food & Dining Bulletproof or butter coffee / tea / cocoa

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Simon Hampel, 5th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I'm wanting to add a higher fat drink to my diet as a way to try eliminating dairy - at the moment I'm relying on cream as my main source of fat, which I think may be causing some gut problems for me.

I've never been a coffee or tea drinker - although I don't mind a little coffee flavour in something like a tiramisu and I quite like iced tea (the flavoured Liptons kind - which I've had to stop drinking because carbs). My parents are tea drinkers - so I have had black tea a bit in the past.

I have tried "tinto" (a Colombian drink made from strong black coffee), which was actually not bad - but that may also have been because we were on a coffee farm in Colombia where they grow/dry/grind their own coffee and that makes everything taste better!

I did recently try making what I call a "liquid bounty bar" (dark chocolate + pure cream + coconut oil), which I quite enjoyed - but that is still relying on cream and I wouldn't want to add too much more chocolate because it would add too much carb content. I haven't tried it with only coconut oil to see if I can cope with it. I might try making it with 90% dark chocolate and coconut oil - can't be any worse than coffee!

So I'm wanting to see what other "bulletproof" drinks (ie added fat) people are drinking whether it be coffee or tea based. I think I just need to try a few variation and see if any of them I can cope with.

What oil are people using? Coconut oil or some other type of MCT oil?

Last edited: 5th Sep, 2017
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Fat drink without dairy sounds difficult? I make myself dark chocolate mocha with soy milk in the morning.

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Yeah; i'd stick to black tea. But I'd also do herbal teas. Just teas with no milk no sugar. I'd suggest add your fat to your food, not the drinks.

Ps. I'm lactose intolerant, but I do consume cheese, yoghurt and chocolate all in moderation. I don't add milk to anything.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Almond milk (if you call it that), replace the fat with avocado rather than coconut oil (saturated fat).

I'd stick with black coffee or tea (with lemon).

5. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

My current breakfast:
    • Double shot long black
    • 30ml Brain Octane Oil (previously used MCT oil but anecdotally, I find Brain Octane has a nootropic effect)
    • 50g Unsalted Butter
    • 24g Collagen Protein
    I've also experimented with MCT oil and Brain Octane + Collagen Protein blended in various tea blends. Some pretty good, some a bit iffy. MCT oil doesn't blend perfectly in liquid (e.g. tea) without butter but blends very well with collagen protein added.

Good thing about both is they are basically tasteless so find a tea you like (drop into a tea store and try some samples), add the oil/collagen, blend and you'll be well sated.

6. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Oh and a note to anyone reading: DO NOT start with a "standard" serving of MCT or Brain Octane oil. You must work your way up to it, unless you want "disaster pants".

bob shovel, Sackie and Scott No Mates like this.
  7. Simon Hampel

Most people use butter and MCT oil (or coconut oil) in their bulletproof coffee. Butter doesn't seem to cause people problems in the same way that cream does.

But I'm specifically looking for recipes for bulletproof coffee.

8. Simon Hampel

Almond milk is the most disgusting thing ever - tastes like dirty dishwashing water - it is literally 97% water and 3% almonds.

I can't eat avocado - makes my mouth really itchy.

Saturated fat is exactly what I'm looking for.

Also - not answering the question ... my question is specifically about what recipes people use for bulletproof coffee.

bob shovel and House like this.
  9. Simon Hampel

What is the purpose of the collagen protein?

Where do you buy MCT oil? Are there different types? Does it have a taste?

10. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

11. Simon Hampel

Did a bit of research and answered two of my own questions.

Anything sold as "pure" MCT oil is typically a 60-40 blend of C8 (Caprylic) and C10 (Capric) Triglycerides.

"Brain Octane" oil is pure C8 - the reasoning being that it metabolises much faster than the blend, giving the brain more of a boost.

All MCT oil is generally refined coconut oil (some use palm oil) and the refining process generally removes most of the taste.

One thing to note about MCT oil versus unrefined coconut oil is that the refining process generally removes the lauric acid - which is not necessarily a good thing.

I think the brain benefit comes from the hit of more concentrated C8 compared to regular MCT oil or coconut oil - since you're getting far less C8 in those for the same dosage.

I might just stick with pure coconut oil for now and see how that works for me.

Redwing likes this.
  12. Simon Hampel

Yeah, not really interested in the guruism associated with Asprey - I think some of the claims he makes draw a very long bow and it's more about the profits than the benefits - he has developed a very strong brand and people willingly pay ridiculous amounts for products that they could get far more cheaply elsewhere.

I'm interested in the theory - not in the products.

I also find it much more reasonable to listen to people who do not have a product or supplement to sell you. Look at the roadmap it's all "BUY BULLETPROOF, BUY BULLETPROOF", rather than giving unbiased advice based on existing products where he doesn't make a profit.

Last edited: 5th Sep, 2017
  13. Martin73

Martin73 Well-Known Member

My recipe for bulletproof coffee:
    • 2 teaspoons of instant (decaf ok)
    • 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (I'm using this brand but it depends on whether you like the taste of coconut or not).
    • 50g tablespoon of butter (again I prefer salted but some people prefer unsalted).
    Blend it together using a nutribullet or similar but after an unfortunate pressure build-up I prefer to use a stick blender.

Re MCT oil I've used Melrose in the past - I've got 3 spare bottles sitting in the cupboard if you want to try.

I've moved away from BPC unless I'm stuck at work and getting 'hangry' and it's better that I have a BPC than make poor food choices.

Simon Hampel likes this.
  14. Simon Hampel

How much liquid are you using? Is this for something like a single mug? 250ml or so?

Are you blending it in boiled water?

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

16. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Crikey, Steven, if you drop in for breakfast when you're in Sydney next you'll have to BYO that stuff and watch me eat bacon and eggs.
    Bulletproof coffees haven't hit Sydney yet. I seriously contemplating contriving a meeting in Melbourne so I can go down for a day and try one.

bob shovel likes this.
  17. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

This is just for Tea,as I grow my own mint ginger -Just have a mix of ginger lots of fresh mint add some high level Manuka medium strength Qld honey then just mix with hot-water let it sit covered for five minutes then add a teaspoon of Flaxseed oil for a nutty taste--

18. Martin73

Martin73 Well-Known Member

Yes @ 250-300ml of boiled water.

Simon Hampel likes this.
  19. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Ghee could be an option for you. Ghee is clarified butter and contains very little milk protein. I haven't had ghee in coffee but I have used it to make Chapatis. I really like the flavour.

Ghee can be used to make bulletproof coffee: What Is Bulletproof Coffee and The Official Way To Make It

Ghee- Ghee is the least likely dairy product to cause unpleasant intolerance symptoms. During the clarification process of making ghee, the milk solids are almost entirely removed, leaving the healthy butter fats behind. Different ghees do vary, not only in flavor, but in quality. Very pure ghee (99 -99.5% pure butter oil) may have trace amounts of casein and lactose remaining, but unless a person is extremely sensitive, it will normally not cause problems, even if other dairy does.
    Dairy Intolerance

20. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

I am off milk in my coffee but will sometimes use a tablespoon of coconut cream with my instant if I am feeling a little low on energy or like a snack but not wanting to eat. It works a treat. Good fat content also.