Built to sell

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Cool16, 17th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cool16

Cool16 Well-Known Member

What are the pros and cons of buying a newly built house in a prime suburb in Nsw like cherrybrook

the land sold in 2020( subdivided)
    Now selling the newly built house

what are the things we need to look for when buying a property that’s never been occupied

Thank you

2. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Are these the ones on New line road? There is going to lot of noise and once South Dural gets developed, there would be a lot more traffic on new line road.

New builds are like new cars - buildings depreciate in value. If you can, try your best to get a freestanding older house in Cherrybrook. You can always renovate later.

If you were to buy a new build, pay good attention to warranties etc., if you are buying from a project builder, they probably won’t exist after 1-2 years as they set up purpose built development companies which only last until the day they sell the last of the developed houses.

Good luck!

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  3. Cool16

Cool16 Well-Known Member

Thank you
    These are in west pennant hills like in Victoria road or cherrybrook road. These are CPS catchment

Cherrybrook free standing house is going beyond budget.

Are there any inspectors who check the quality of the new house ? Similar to building and pest inspectors

4. standtall

Those are likely West Pennant Hills Public School and Pennant Hills High School catchment. Both are excellent schools. Not many people realise that CTHS, Castle Hill High and Pennant Hill High are all ranked very closely (between 91 to 100) so not much of a difference at all. Cherrybrook is probably more popular because it’s slightly cheaper than West Pennant Hills and part of Castle Hill which falls in Castle Hill High catchment.

Cherrybrook Road in West Pennant Hills is a very exclusive pocket and it will be 10-15% more expensive than a comparable Cherrybrook house. Victoria road is more affordable because of smaller blocks.

Last edited: 18th Oct, 2021
  5. Cool16

Cool16 Well-Known Member

Using school finder to check the zone

ya one side of Victoria road in CPS

The house I have seen in Victoria road is subdivided land and access easement. Not sure how to assess the building quality as it’s brand new

6. standtall

I wouldn’t worry about building quality too much. If it’s certified and comes with occupancy certificate, rest is all finish and you can probably judge the quality yourself.

Pest & building for newer houses includes checking out all the doors, knobs, lights etc etc., just make sure to double check with building inspector.

I think you are talking about the newer house listed for auction off Victoria street. This is an extremely convenient location.. buses at the doorstep, walk to schools, walk to Thompson corner, close to popular Campbell park and very leafy area .. you will get huge leaf litter though and will need to clean gutters regularly.

It will be an excellent purchase under $2m given people are paying close to $2m for small block new builds in North Kellyville these days.

Good luck!

7. Cool16

Cool16 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your response :)

8. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Is spending more of your purchase price on the new building a good idea, if you are already pushing your budget limits?

9. Cool16

Cool16 Well-Known Member

Didn’t get your question

10. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

A new built house has the max building value. That depreciates. So if you are already at your limit, would you be better off buying more land and less building? And work on the building (renos etc) later?

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A new build 3 bed project home on the harbour may not take advantage of the site or views and vastly under capitalise on its potential. Nobody will build a AV Jennings project home on the harbour. Just because its new doesnt mean it best improves value

12. Cool16

Cool16 Well-Known Member

The issue is we want to b in WP or cherrybrook

a 380 m2 land went for 2.075 - so can’t expect out of cherrybrook old homes . It’s like anything is beyond 2.2 plus Renovation cost is close to 2.3

13. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

We worry about building quality in a big way if the property is reasonably new (I would never buy brand new for reasons listed above).

Firstly, researching the developer is paramount as well as inspecting the property for various attributes that a building inspection won't necessarily pick up if it's not broken. For example, some new builds have lazy designs that don't have a drain running along the front of a garage - this seems benign until there's driving rain and the garage gets flooded (common complaint) if the slab is even slightly sloping the wrong way. That's just one small example and I walked away from a very new and flashy property just last week because of some basic design flaws that quickly indicated the developer had gone cheap and the property was ripe for future problems. I think unless you're inspecting properties regularly it can be difficult to know.

An final occupation certificate tells you nothing about the building quality other than it was designed and build to code and likely signed off by a PCA, but there are vast differences in both building and finish quality inside that code and a final OC can still be issued.

Your concerns are valid and I personally don't like buying anything too new unless I know the developer, their previous work or it's been architecturally designed. I can think of at least two builders/developers who I will categorically walk away from as soon as I found out the building was completed by them. To answer your question, yes, you can still pay to get a building inspection done on a new property (provided it exists of course) and I can guarantee you that there are plenty of properties across Sydney that have had a final OC issued that have been done in a dodgy way!

I hope that helps.

- Andrew

14. Cool16

Cool16 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much …yes it does help.
    I’m yet to see the property will go tomorrow and check

If you go around west pennant hills this is the latest thing

subdivide
    Build
    Sell

one of the property in cherrybrook road asking price is 3.5-4 for a 700m2 land

not sure when this craze will end

15. Cool16

Cool16 Well-Known Member

Can I ask who are the builders who I should be staying away from or if you can’t mention here any sites I can see for reviews?

16. MyPropertyPro

Yes and as you can imagine when it's "the done thing" and they're doing it to make money, corners start to get cut. I'm not saying it's all completely dodgy, but that's just how it is in the real world when companies and people are more interested in profit margins.

No builders/developers in that area that I know of but we don't operate up there, sorry!

- Andrew

17. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Too long a list. However there are many many builders who build excellent quality too. All it takes is a bad contractor and sloppy supervisor and the buyer ends up with a issue. I bought a new build and found the process was "off the plan" and I accepted I got what they were building. And it was a good standard (Clarendon) with a terrific supervisor who drove things like Keith from the Block. He had the fascade on a neighbours house removed and redone as it looked less than straight. On ours he widened the garage so the house was central on the block. We had a extra 1.5metres width to the 2.5 car garage. I thnk many dont give credit to good standards out there sometimes. Some of the bigger project builders do a great job by whipping the tradies hard to not have defects. Is that wrong ? In return they pump out volume at a reasonable standard fior a reasonable price. I have also seen people by a DIY renovator nightmare. A freind has a ex-builders house and he even liquid nailed some carpet down. Everthing is dodgy.

I have also heard some shockers that are trivial issues. Many people think a new build will be "perfect" and kick up a fuss when its minor stuff. And many think they are getting the display home when its made by soemone to look special. eg Shayna Blaza gets paid the big bucks to make displays look so nice but reality is creme paint. In reality there is a defects process and some nitpick what are minor issues. So rather than making a fuss and whinging just work with it.

18. MyPropertyPro

My Dad's house was actually on Selling Houses Australia a few years ago...you're not wrong!

- Andrew

19. Cool16

Cool16 Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your suggestions