Built Strata to Green title?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Leslie, 22nd Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Hi
    I have a old house in Cannington which is part of the Built Strata. Developer who created this Strata has left the old house as it is and constructed 4 new houses at the back, then combined everything as part of the Built strata. I bought the old house which is not connected with new houses in anyway and has its own driveway. The house is very old and I am thinking of demolishing and building new house. Land area is 269 SQ.M. May I know how to proceed with this?
    So far, I know that I have get the approval from all the strata property owners and the council, engage a surveyor to redraw the strata plan before I can even demolish the house. Does this mean all the strata owners have to change their mortagage documents as well ($165 for each house?). After reading through the comments in previous posts on the same subject, I think it will be costly excercise and time consuming as well. Is it possible to remove my property from the strata and convert it to green title? Then it may be worthwhile to go through this process. Does any one has done this before? Would be interested to know rough costs involved and the options to develop this land parcel. Thank you in advance.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

You probably need to check whether its possible to even convert it to green title. Have you had a chat to council or a planning professional?

3. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

that is one of the question I am asking in this forum? I am sure it is possible with R 80 Zoning for 269 SQM land.

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I don't think we can tell without a lot more info. No idea what the size or setup of the rest of the strata scheme is for a start! Best to take it to the professionals, while trying to find out as much info as you can in the meantime.

Would the rest of the lot owners even support it?

Perthguy and lixas4 like this.
  5. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Not sure what its like in WA, but if your doing this in vic i would suggest speaking to a land surveyor, and working out if you and your neighbours share services and if that will cause you issues in going green

Archaon likes this.
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It may be possible or may not be possible. It depends. One consideration is servicing. Can you service both lots with water, sewer and power?

Off the top of my head you would have to:

- conditional approval from the WAPC to split the block into 2

- approval from the local government for a plan for the remaining buildings, either a strata plan or a strara plan of resubdivision. You would need to check thus out

- comply with conditions of approval including all services

- dissolve the existing strata (maybe)

- go to title on the freehold

- register the strata plan or plan of resubdivision

It will be expensive

Frankie1111 and Leslie like this.
  7. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Thanks for your detailed reply. This property has its drive way, own water meter straight from the street, own power supply that I may be required to go underground if developing. Sewer is connected to the common pipe along the common drive way on the side. I will have to get seperate sewer connection only.
    Going through the list, to do all this things, would cost me around $10 -15K I think. Now I am not sure if it is worth spending all this money for Green title.
    I will contact the City council and surveyor for additional information. Thank you for all those who replied.

Frankie1111, Vicki W and Perthguy like this.
  8. Wensong

Wensong New Member

Hi Leslie,

Did you end up converting the title?

Thanks,
    Wensong

9. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

No, I have left the property as it is for now. Too expensive to change from strata to green title and not worth the effort for this property.

10. Wensong

Wensong New Member

Thanks Leslie. Was sorting out the services the main costing item? I was wondering if you had a chance to speak to a council planner. We have the same problem and wanted to know if there will be any regulation roadblocks. Thanks!

11. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

I have no issues with the services and the drive way. If we need to remove one lot from strata we need to survey the whole strata and create a new strata plan showing that the new strata will satisfy all the conditions like car parks, then get approval from all the other strata owners. Once this is done, we need to submit to council for approval and send the new strata plan to Landgate who will re issue the titles for all the properties. Then all the property owners need to submit the new strata plan to banks. All this will cost money and time. Unless there is huge benefit no point in doing this. It might be easier to talk to all the strata property owners and get atleast 50% of the owners to agree on selling the property as whole or developing the whole strata property.

12. Wensong

Wensong New Member

Thanks so much Leslie! Really appreciate your quick and thorough response!

13. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

I must say I disagree with your hypothesis.

Imo, if you had gone ahead with the job as you described before, in 2019, you would definitely be jn a positive position today. Look at what demo+construction costs are today vs then and what newish cannington properties are selling for, I suspect that newish streetfront property would be worth in the 700s today, possibly low 800s depending on what you squeezed on the block

Last edited: 21st Apr, 2024 at 3:57 PM