Built - Strata Subdvision Costs - WA people help?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Bombers86, 5th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bombers86

Bombers86 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, especially the knowledgeable WA folks on here.

Some years back I completed a built-strata in City of Mandurah. Built two houses next to each other, but have never been through the process of actually subdividing the two houses with council.

Has anyone done this before and know roughly what the costs are associated with doing this? I would probably look at just doing a strata-title subdivision to save money. But as I have built the homes and they are all connected and set up etc. will it cost me less overall?

AND another question, should I simply engage a surveyor to do all this for me? I am so green in this area, I just need some general help please. Thank you!

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

You need a surveyor to prepare the strata plan as a minimum. You can lodge the forms with the strata plan yourself if you know how to fill out the forms correctly. All the forms are on the LG web site.

If you don't know how to fill them out then get a surveyor to do it.

Bombers86 likes this.
  3. Skuttles

Skuttles Well-Known Member

Agree with @Perthguy re filling out forms. There is a resubmission fee at Landgate if you get anything wrong.

Bombers86 and Perthguy like this.
  4. Bombers86

Bombers86 Well-Known Member

Thank you @Perthguy and @Skuttles - yes I think I'll just engage the surveyor to do it all considering I would be new to filling out the forms.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I would totally get a surveyor to handle it for you. I don't like filling out forms :p

6. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

Agree with the above.

Also, have you weighed up going for survey strata rather than built strata? You may well meet all the criteria and it is a more enduring (it isn’t nullified by demolishing a building) title. Downside is you will have to apply through WAPC not the City of Mandurah, it will be more expensive and take longer, but you may see this cost many times over in increased value (or may not, depends on the product and the area!).

If it were me I’d speak to a local agent to see if purchasers in the area have a preference one way or the other. May not be a big issue in Mandurah, but worth considering.

Perthguy likes this.