Building Warranty Question

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by PorkBellyLover, 13th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PorkBellyLover

PorkBellyLover Active Member

Hi all,

We have leaking shower issue and just wondering if anyone here knows whether this is covered by building warranty. The property is a 2008 build, while I purchased it a year ago, so based on the explanation here, my understanding is that it should still be covered, but not sure if the type of the damage is something covered by the warranty.

Does anyone ever have a similar issue or know a thing or two about building warranty?

Thanks in advance!

2. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Structural warranty's are valid for 6 years in WA. Call the builder and ask.

3. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

Hi PBL

It depends on whether the leaking shower issue is a minor defect or a major defect. If it's a minor defect then the warranty period is usually only 6-12 months after build, but if it's major then it falls in the 10 year warranty category (for properties in Vic).

Have you had the issue investigated yet, where is the property located and is it part of a strata?

4. PorkBellyLover

Thanks guys,

The property is in VIC. I had an independent plumber/inspector came in and provided me with a thermal imaging report, they believed that the issue is caused by water proofing failure.

Is there a reference which provide a guidance on what is considered a minor or major/structural defects? Is water proofing considered a minor or a major defect?

I'm definitely going to give the builder a call, but I'd like to be prepared so that I'm not dumbfounded.

5. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

Most builder's written warranties only cover the following after the first year:
    • Foundation Failure. (However many builders will try and blame the house owner for the problems)
    • Structural Frame. (As long as you have maintained termite protection systems)
    • Load Bearing Brickwork.
    That's not to say that implied warranties don't apply . . . but your are likely to be in for a fight!

6. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Looking at the vba website the warranty period is 6 years in Victoria :oops:
    Domestic building insurance | VBA Website

the vba doesn't distinguish between minor/major defects, just structural/non-structural defects. Waterproofing should be considered structural due to the resultant damage it can potentially cause I.e. Major structural damage

7. PorkBellyLover

Thank you guys, really appreciate it. I'll contact the vendor and see where it takes me.