Building Warranty NSW - Does It Cover My Situation? Pipe Leak Behind Wall

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by JinxChin, 16th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JinxChin

JinxChin New Member

Hi there,
    I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right section but, here goes.

I'm an owner occupier of an apartment in NSW, we purchased the unit straight from the developer and the building is about 4 years old. A month ago, we found some leaks and the building management suggested that we call their recommended plumber.

The plumber came over and after some investigation, he found that the shower piping behind the wall had sprung a small leak and every time someone used the shower, the leak would cause some water to accumulate in the area behind the wall of the bathroom. Of course, after we stopped using the shower the water dried up.

Repairing this leak would entail hacking through some of the tiling of the bathroom wall to get to the leaky pipe, patching the pipe and waterproofing, patching the wall up, followed by tiling work.

I have tried searching around online on this topic but however I haven’t been able to find a clear answer to this question.

My question is:
    Is this covered by the 6-year building warranty?

Thank you in advance for your opinions on this.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Should definitely be covered. Also they may be able to get to the pipe from the other side of the wall, rather than through the tiles.

3. JinxChin

JinxChin New Member

Wow thanks for your reply!

To clarify, the other side of the bathroom wall are kitchen cabinets.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.