Building Units with Sewer Running to Rear Property in Geelong

Discussion in 'Development' started by STH, 10th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. STH

STH New Member

Hi folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've tried reading all the related threads but they haven't quite answered my questions. I am looking to buy my first PPOR - late 50's weatherboard on a 670sq/m block - with the intention of knocking down and building 3 units in future.

As part of my due diligence, I obtained the Drainage Plan and found two things - there is a 2m easement at the rear of the property, so approximately 30sq/m is unusable. Furthermore, the sewage pipe runs down the rear of the property, in to the neighbouring yard.

My understanding is, if the sewage pipes are sufficient for 3 units, this is not an issue. However, if the pipes need upgrading to meet the additional demand, I will need to negotiate with the neighbour to dig up their yard. I have no idea what this may cost.

So, my questions to all you clever people are as follows:
    • What sort of expert should I direct these questions to, to get a reliable and definitive answer?
    • Is 674sq/m with a 30sq/m easement going to be big enough for 3 units?
    • If not, could it be subdivided for 1 additional dwelling, maybe battleaxe?
    • Has anyone done this sort of development before, with similar drainage situation?
    • Any ideas how much the drain upgrades may cost, if I went ahead?
    • Should I keep looking elsewhere?
    I have included the drainage plan, with identifying details left out. I have plenty to learn and a thick skin, so please don't hold back. I appreciate your time!
    drainageplan.png

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Why do you need to run the drainage to a random house in Geelong? :D

There's a 4" line to your connection point in the adjoining property. The plumber may need to Run a new 6" pvc line, boundary trap & make a new 6" connection.

STH likes this.
  3. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

1. In many locations the sewer MAIN is not in the easement where it "should" be. This is the case here.
    2.The MAIN is the Authority asset - you don't get to play around with that (in normal circumstances)
    3. the internal sewer that runs from the house to the main is "yours" - you can re-route it etc. It's you're problem to fix if something goes wrong, not Barwon Water's
    4. in a redevelopment, full or partial, you will most likely re-route the internal sewer line, as it is in "the way" of making land available
    5. ultimately you will have a new sewer connection to the MAIN, not internally, via the boundary trap just outside the easement
    6. on rare occasions you might be able to use the existing tapping into the main for two dwellings (existing and one other) but don't count on it the Authority will let you know if this is possible, but see 4
    As for the land area - area is one consideration and really doesn't come into "planning rules"
    What will determine your options will be the zoning (and open space requirements), setbacks of adjacent houses, single or two storey options etc etc. Numbers actually don't mean much - you need to undertake a spatial and zone provision assessment

Contact a local Town Planner ;) get good advice

4. STH

STH New Member

Hi Tufan,

I spoke to one of your blokes, James, yesterday afternoon. He was exceptionally helpful and if I'm approved for finance, I will be in touch again to determine if the site will be feasible for development.

Thank you for your insights above, it is much appreciated!

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  5. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Great that you found us. I don't promote my services on here ( I don't think it's appropriate) - but I help with comments and advice where I can. If people find my comments helpful...great. If the eventually contact the practice more formally, that's a bonus...

Scott No Mates, craigc and STH like this.