Building surveyor unresponsive

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by cabbage698, 24th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. cabbage698

cabbage698 New Member

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with unresponsive surveyor, my structural engineer supplied info about rectification work on my subfloor 3 weeks ago and I am not able to get through to him by phone nor get any response from him via email despite repeated attempt. His assistant asked to call back this week if haven't heard from him and now none of them can be contacted. Has anyone in the same boat and what did you do to change that around?

2. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is it a certifier, a land surveyor or quantity surveyor?

Have you paid their invoices?

4. cabbage698

cabbage698 New Member

I would say they are certifier as they will need to inspect the building work like framing and subfloor, sign off on them if they are satisfied before further work can proceed. I have paid their invoices in stages when they started the work with documentation. I heard many stories that most building surveyors are difficult to deal with in terms of getting back to your queries or trying to get them to talk on the phone. Initially, they would respond to get your business. Once that's out of the way, it's hard to get answers out of them. Takes them a week or two to get back to you. Very frustrating when you want the work to continue.

5. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

I think Victorians call Private Building Certifiers "Surveyors" ??

they also play this strange game called AFL ?

they are not usually on speed dial to provide instant response, however most I have dealt with get back to you asap when given due notice.

maybe they are busy on a hundred other jobs - can you change Certifiers ?

Scott No Mates likes this.
  6. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Give him mouth to mouth. Call the ambulance.

It shouldn't matter that he's a building surveyor?

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The kiss of death?

boganfromlogan likes this.
  8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Is this construction project in Melbourne? Wouldn't the lockdown impact this?

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Although construction sites have been shut down over the past week, and will be in the coming week too, I think the surveyor could still respond from home - even to explain the delay.

Prior to the construction shut down, there were restrictions on total numbers of people on site - so definitely could have slowed things down.

Cabbage698: is your build in the north or west of Melbourne? If so, the surveyor might be sick -or isolating - with covid.

10. cabbage698

cabbage698 New Member

This project is in the West of Melbourne. And you're right Joynz, the surveyor can still respond via email or phone or an explanation of the delay. There's no indication of surveyor taking time off as the office can still be reached and the receptionist, as well as his assistant trying to connect the surveyor. I can understand the lock down situation that the surveyor may not be able to visit and inspect site. This is not about inspection but decisions and paperwork behind the scenes so that everything is set in stone and work can restart as soon as lock down is lifted.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

He may have a virtual assistant / receptionist (i.e. answering service) rather than an actual assistant so they may not know. Have you met them in person?

12. cabbage698

cabbage698 New Member

No I haven’t met them in person. He’s finally responded after 3 weeks, I supplied all information required from architect, engineer within one week and now back to the same process again. He will take time to digest all information given, come up with more questions if not satisfied with either the architect or engineer or fire report engineer. Repeat with another 3-4 weeks response. Who out there has patience with this sort of act. Really, this is incredibly frustrating, a constant waiting game.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.