Building Second story to strata unit

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by BBStar, 6th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BBStar

BBStar Member

Hello
    Anyone aware of whether councils entertain the idea of building a second story to a strata titled unit?
    Would like to know if anyone has done this or knows definitively whether Council will allow it prior to me looking at whether the build can actually meet res code etc.
    I’m the front unit in a block of 11 with a recent double story unit built next to me as we are 500m from the train and in a growth zone with Moreland Council Vic.
    Thanks!

2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

you would need Strata approval before council, with bylaws created and a meeting etc

3. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Apart from the fact I doubt you would receive Strata approval, it would be cheaper for you to sell and buy elsewhere ... :eek:

wylie likes this.
  4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Council requirements for parking (occupant, visitor, disabled) usually make this difficult.
    You can add new apartments on top, but adding parking underneath or removing gardens/open space area's gets difficult

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@lixas4 may be able to add some value as to what you may be able to achieve & how.

lixas4 likes this.
  6. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

There are two issues i see - planning, and whether you own the airspace above your unit.

Planning - does your proposed design meet rescode? Overlooking, overshadowing, bulk, neighbourhood character etc look up clause 55 of the planning scheme for some initial guidance.

Title - you mention that you are one unit of 11 on your property. When was the subdivision that created your title? What is the two letter prefix of your title number, ie LP, SP/RP, PS? There have been different acts over the years that have allowed strata subdivisions, each with there own rules. We need to ascertain which act created your title, to find which rulebook applies, which will help us work out if you own the airspace above you unit, or if it is in common property. If you own it, then you can build up without requiring approval from the other unit owners (subject to planning). But if its common property, then you will require unanimous consent from all the other members of the owners corporation, which is general difficult to recieve with so many owners.

wylie and Scott No Mates like this.