Building process

Discussion in 'Development' started by Nabsinna, 13th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nabsinna

Nabsinna Well-Known Member

Hi All,

With the help of this forum I have bought my first development site with DD to the best of my abilities with an objective of holding.

The site has come with a DA planning permit for 2 townhouses for combined floor area of 47 squares including Garages.

I have engaged established builders and have got preliminary estimated quotes. Obviously they cannot give me itemised exact quote without the preliminary site specific reports. These include the following :
    • Working drawings
    • Soil reports
    • Footing designs / Engineering
    • Drainage designs
    • Structural engineering
    • Energy Reports

They have quoted approx 15k for the above to be done by them.

Questions
    1.Will I have better bargaining power if I arrange for these on my Own?

2. If I wanted to, how would I arrange for these? And how much would each of the quotes roughly cost?

3. Is the $15000 cost they quoted reasonable for the job that's need to be done?

4. What would be the must have upgrades in design that you would suggest to ensure a balance of owner occupier appeal and good value for money? ( examples high ceilings etc)

As always, I deeply appreciate the wisdom I gain from here.

Thanks

2. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

1. yes you will have better bargaining power - you will "own" the documents and can ask builders to quote/tender. Also be aware that some builders claim copyright over documents they arrange and prevent others from using those documents - kind of a sneaky practice, but it's not uncommon
    2. Find a project manager to help out
    3.That's a relatively low, but ok budget. If you go down the path of a project manager you can get individual quotes on these items as well
    4.worry about that later

3. Nabsinna

Nabsinna Well-Known Member

Thanks Tufan.

Any recommendations on project management around the south eastern suburbs of melbourne?