Building my first home and need help

Discussion in 'Development' started by chara, 27th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. chara

chara New Member

Hi all,
    I just bought my first land to build a home (first home buyer).
    This is gonna be my PPOR. and I don't have any experience.
    Could you guys teach me what are I need to know?
    I just receive an email from my builder that contain a letter of appointment and I don't know anything about it. I thought we only need to apply a building permit to council but that letter said that I appoint "xxxxx" company to administer the building permit approval process. And in the letter of appointment, they said that a building surveyor must be appointed by the owner. So I guess I need one.
    Any recommendation for a good building surveyor in melbourne (around north area or at least they don't mind to go to the north)?
    Can I sign and submit the letter of appointment first and appoint the building surveyor later?
    I don't know much about property and all that involved in it so I need all the education from the experts here.
    Thank you so much for your help.

Chara

2. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

how did you choose your builder? I am not an expert but usually builder can arrange the survey. Maybe you should also look at independent project manager or at least independent inspections at various stages throughout the construction process.

3. chara

chara New Member

I didn't choose the builder as it is kind of a house and land package but the builder doesn't own the land and the builder send me a letter of appointment for me to sign. I did my search and research and find out that letter of appointment is usually from building surveyor so it means the builder appoint the building surveyor, right?
    Do you think it's okay to go through with it? Or is there any other suggestion?

Zac, are you suggesting that I go with it and get the independent building surveyor too?

Thanks

4. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

I am assuming you are building in Victoria?

As of the 1st of September 2016 the land owner must appoint the building surveyor.

Most big volume builders will recommend the surveyors that they have always used and give the building surveyors details on the surveyor appointment form. Smaller builders may not, and may leave it up to you.

I work for a Melbourne based volume bullder and we use DJM Building surveyors and have done so for the last 11years.

If your builder can't recommend a surveyor they have worked with, then maybe try DJM.

From experience they do a good job,

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
    Nathan