Building maintenance software

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by FireDragon, 30th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. chrish

chrish Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused. Does your family own the entire complex, or do different people own different units? Because you talk about common areas, which sounds like a strata complex. If so, you should have a strata manager to manage the common areas and collect levies etc.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You still have common areas if you own the entire building, there is no requirement for a body corporate as you own the lot.

Dan Wood likes this.
  3. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

@Scott No Mates The building was only completed few months ago (all the certificates are still in place) and I found that it will be helpful if I can monitor the upcoming / overdue items closely and remind the agent.

4. Scott No Mates

All you need to do is to ensure that the property manager has entered into contracts with each of the essential services providers & that they're doing the job.

Many of the items may be under warranty periods included in the construction contract and will need to get new contracts in place.

Dan Wood likes this.
  5. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Either employ the strata manager to also.manage the facilities, or employ a facilities manager or caretaker (contracted with a schedule of duties etc). Not really a property managers job and I suspect if you use a real estate agent instead of a facilities manager you will pay more and get a lesser service.

6. Scott No Mates

I've previously worked for some of the largest commercial property management firms. We had asset management services, project management, FM& PM in-house.

All of the big firms do it successfully.

7. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

I was talking about residential PM's, assumed that was what OP was talking about.

8. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

I did consider a building manager but it will cost around $80K a year for a building manager. The realestate agent can do most of the work but I would like to monitor the process for the first one or two years to make sure on the inspections and maintenance are done on time.

I also have a strata manager which will help to review the agent's process and update us any legislative changes. I am considering to do this review once or twice per year.