Building insurance prior to the settlement

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Pinkmarjory, 6th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pinkmarjory

Pinkmarjory Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

our broker just emailed me that I need to get a building insurance prior to settlement and needs to be minimum $400,000.it’s a freestanding/Torrens title(PPOR).What’s the rationale behind this? As when I previously bought an apartment, I wasn’t required. Also, should I purchase a building insurance worth $1,105,000 as this is the amount we will be paying the property for? What building insurance company is a good
    One? Will I get a discount if I’m taking a landlords insurance from my IP in the same company’s ? TIA

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Imagine if the vendor wasnt insured ? You want absolute knowledge that if the home burns down the day of settlement or earlier you have the $$$ to rebuild rather some long drawn out dispute with the former owner who only owns the land as they were uninsured. You are insuring your interest in the contracted property and the extra days of duplicated cover is a trivial protection cost. You cant insure land - Just the cost to rebuild. The assessment of insurance value should consider extrar costs like demo, site costs etc. Discuss with an insurer. You also will likely need a contents policy for plant items, light fittings, curtains etc and carpets etc.

An apartment will have a strata policy that covers the main structure and common areas. Thats what strata levies helps pay.

Stoffo and Perp like this.
  3. JamesC

JamesC Well-Known Member

Anyone have any recommendations for building insurance providers in this market?

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

torrens title doesnt have its own strata insurance, the apartment would have had same via owners corp, due to strata title - ie there is ONE policy that covers all units in the plan, paid for by your strata levies

400 000 sounds like the replacement cost ?

ta
    rolf

5. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

Insurance is pretty much needed for all properties .

Either through strata or individually on Torrens title.