Building Inspections on New Duplex Builds

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by pinot, 4th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. pinot

pinot Active Member

What are your rules of thumbs regarding building inspections of newly built properties? (In particular duplex).

I'm looking at a 2 storey duplex, brick construction with top/bottom concrete slabs. This property appears to be originally built for owner occ (60mm stone bench tops, high end finishes and appliances).

I'm an engineer by background and have gone through the property and can't see any obvious cracks, door misalignments etc but keen to hear your thoughts.

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

We’d always suggest a through building inspection. Many companies are available to do this.

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I would always do it. Best to know everything you can when you are investing what is probably over $1m. Spend the $500 get a comprehensive report, know if there are any issues and get them rectified by the builder/owner.
    Every report on a new build I've had done has always found something, most often it's not major structural but on one they found the fireproofing between the two dwellings in the roof space hadn't been done properly (ie there was a massive hole a man could get through). It was quite easily fixed but could potentially have been very nasty if there was a fire.

Propertunity likes this.
  4. pinot

pinot Active Member

Just for everyone else's reference, I am based in Sydney and used Stephen from AusInspect.

Highly recommend his service! He is extremely attentive to detail, so much so that the builder has kept his details for future projects! The video is not a gimmick, but adds value through allowing you as a buyer to refresh on the property you previously inspected. Finally, I'd recommend him to new investors/buyers as well as he is very informative with the information he gives on the topic of maintenance etc.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia