Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

building inspection without water or power

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by LucyCat, 5th Apr, 2016.

Tags:
  1. LucyCat

LucyCat Active Member

Hi, guys...

I am interested in a house after the open inspection. However, no water or electricity in the house due to long time vacancy.

How can I carry out b&p in this situation ? I have contacted the agent but no response so far. :(

BTW, the house doesn't have a carport, will it put tenants off ?

Thank you very much.

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Exclusive Real Estate Buyers Agent Business Member

The building inspector will have a torch as will the pest inspector (who will also have a battery powered moisture meter). So no electricity required. Neither test lighting & power or appliances anyway.

No water will mean they can't test taps or toilets flushing :(

I don't know. Presumably the rental figure you are asking will be lower than a similar property with car accom? Carports are only $2.5K approx anyway - not difficult to erect.

LucyCat likes this.
  3. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

The only way may be to have the services connected again or just accept it as it is.

Not always, but if there are similar properties at the same price with carports or garages then they may be more desirable to tenants when comparing properties.

Otherwise there isn't generally a huge demand unless they need a garage to store items or want a carport to cover their car.

LucyCat likes this.
  4. LucyCat

LucyCat Active Member

:(:(

Hi. propertunity, thanks a lot for your reply.
    Sorry I don't know how to quote some parts of your input separately.

Do you mean the building inspector won't text the lightjng, appliances
    ...etc? It',s a little bit shocking to hear that.

2.5K for a carport seems fine, thanks for the info, but where the carport should be/was is the 4th bedroom now. So no room for the carport.

I think I',ll pass this time. Still no reply from REA, and I don't think the vendor will contact the power for this purpose.

Thanks a lot.

5. LucyCat

LucyCat Active Member

Thanks a lot, Nick. I'll pass. First time investor. Very nervous and can't risk too much.

Thanks.

6. Nick Valsamis

Correct, they don't check the electricals such as lighting, power points or appliances.

LucyCat likes this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Totally agree. You could test them yourself but you may find it even more shocking lol
    [​IMG]

LucyCat and Nick Valsamis like this.
  8. Nick Valsamis

Good one, although there is no power connected so...

LucyCat and datto like this.
  9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Turn the water on at the meter and check the meter box for electricity switched on.

Or just tell the agent if they want a buyer turn the water and power on

10. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

As @bob shovel said above most meters are just switched off on site so your inspectors should check those first.

My contracts have a clause that all fixtures and fittings must be present and in working order at settlement so that would overcome that problem.

LucyCat likes this.
  11. Andrew H

Andrew H Well-Known Member

@LucyCat just had the same situation on my latest purchase. I just went around myself and turned the power on at the meter box and the water on at the mains inlet. A building inspector will know how to do this if you ask him at booking. He will not however test the electrical or water, but go around with a phone charger and plug into every socket and see if they work. Lights also. Go around yourself and test the taps. Done. If your slighlty worried Tell the agent you will be doing this or ask them to turn them on for building and pest. Put it in your offer 'subject to power and water turned on for testing'. Tell your conveyencer to do the wording for you.
    I would never let something as small as that lose me my deals.

LucyCat likes this.
  12. SmashedEconomy

SmashedEconomy Active Member

Your call, and potentially your loss. The likihood of a serious electrical fault is very low, and as for the plumbing you could have factored in the cost of repairing a sewer blockage (common fault) and some leaking joints, etc. Point is, if you like it, submit an appropriately lower offer as a penalty for not having services connected to make up for any possible faults you cant test for. This is just standard methodology for a savvy buyer..

LucyCat and Nick Valsamis like this.
  13. Propertunity

Propertunity Exclusive Real Estate Buyers Agent Business Member

You'll need to toughen up or you'll never buy anything. That is not to say you go in with your eyes closed or your hands tied - but think of ways to get what you want rather than excuses why you can't do it.

LucyCat and wylie like this.
  14. LucyCat

LucyCat Active Member

Hi, guys,

Thank you very much for all the priceless tactics, experiences.....and advices. Hammering them into my head.

The property is already sort of under contract. Vendor is choosing among some offers (within the asking price range). Was told too late to submit my (lower) offer.

I have learnt a lot from this thread.
    Will beef myself up with all the contributions you guys have made. Won't make the same mistake again.

No more excuses to hold myself back.