Building inspection results...

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Damarcus11, 16th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Damarcus11

Damarcus11 Well-Known Member

So I've just received the building inspection report which stated that the front and back balcony of a property are both unsafe.

I am extending the building check date, and asking a builder for a quote for demolishing both balconies, and sealing up the walls.

Does anyone have an estimate about how much this will cost? And is it a standard process to renegotiate the sale price with the current owners to take the required renovations into account?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

'unsafe' - why? Is it about to fail or fall down? Is the handrail non compliant?

No-one could hazard a guess without more information.

wylie likes this.
  3. Damarcus11

Damarcus11 Well-Known Member

The handrails are non compliant, there is severe rust in the support beams, and large cracks in the concrete. The inspector implied that I would have to either replace the balconies or demolish them.

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Generally yes, gives you some leverage to negotiate

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I’ve given my thoughts on the other thread about this problem. I think you should replace rather than remove them and renegotiate after you get a quote to do so (or move on from this one).

Lindsay_W likes this.