Building Inspection for potential buyers

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by shazz_1958, 30th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. shazz_1958

shazz_1958 New Member

Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle with me... I am putting my house on the market as a 'flip' It was built in the late 70's and has been rented out and let go... I have decided just to clean up the rubbish, tidy the gardens and sell as is...because of the age and work that has to be done...painting etc...would it be helpful to get a building report done to show anyone that has interest, thoughts please...some friends say good idea, others say they would not trust a building report from the vendor.

2. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

No harm in getting a building report if there is nothing to hide and the house doesn't present well. Don't be surprised if the eventual buyer still gets their own report just to check that yours hasn't missed anything.

3. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Is the house in South Australia or is it in another state?

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

It will probably help you price the house correctly if you have full knowledge of any defects that need rectifying. As said, buyers may get their own report, but having a report available will show the true condition of the house.
    Marg

5. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

I would only do so if you are either aware of a major issue or are confident there are not any issues likely to deter buyers.

If there are major issues you can disclose this and price the property accordingly to avoid wasting time. If there are no issues you can give buyers comfort and use this to negotiate the best price. The issue comes when there are some issues that will deter a buyer before they have an emotional connection to the property. The same buyer may have otherwise overlooked the issues if they had already fallen in love and put an offer in, however given they see it before this stage of emotional investment they walk away.

6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hi Shazz, welcome aboard.
    Can't hurt, but potential buyer would probably get their own.
    I suppose you've looked into how much it's going to cost to sell?
    Not keen on keeping it and using the equity?