Building inspection before or after 3 month period?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Jester, 4th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jester

Jester Active Member

Hi everyone,

We’re buying a new house in the West in Sydney and I just wanted to get your opinion on when to engage a private building inspector to check for defects? There’s a 3 month period where the developer will come back and fix any problems.

Is it better to get the private building inspection done prior to moving in? My solicitor advised that as long as the property has its OC, any defects wouldn’t affect settlement.
    Or is it better to wait for the 3 months to figure out what is wrong and then get a building inspector go check it all? My only concern is what is the developers motivation to fix defects 3 months later after settlement.

Your advice from experience would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Jane Ridder

Jane Ridder Well-Known Member

If/when the property is complete and you can get access to it, I can't see why you wouldn't get the building inspection done straight away.

Jester and The Y-man like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Do not wait 3 months as your opportunity to have your defects rectified (excluding items under statutory warranties) may be affected. Get the inspection done either asap or within 2 months to faciltiate your notification.

Jester likes this.
  4. Jester

Jester Active Member

Thanks Jane

5. Jester

Jester Active Member

Thanks for your advice Scott. Assuming settlement will only be delayed if major defects are found, right?

6. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

You could probably get away with keeping the settlement date and the developer agree to fix during and after.

That is if you want to move in now and don't mind workers coming to fix whatever defect there is.

Jester likes this.