Building in Brisbane -city views

Discussion in 'Development' started by beachgurl, 4th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I'm in the planning stages to build a house (or two) in Coorparoo. There are some city views from downstairs but will likely be full unobstructed views from a top storey.

Is there additional dollar value in building upside down houses? Or is it enough to have an upstairs living area with the view? Does anyone know if upside down houses are popular up there? I'm getting very mixed responses from the local agents.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If the views are worthwhile then bedrooms, 2nd living area & facilities downstairs with lounge/kitchen taking advantage of the views.

If the view is incidental (or will be lost if neighbours build/trees grow) then stick with the tried and true.

Sackie likes this.
  3. herenow

herenow Well-Known Member

thought I had a view, but had a rethink and now not sure ... Was leaning towards traditional layout (bedrooms upstairs living down), but after a brief look on re.com.au seems like stairs are pretty common there,
    Good luck with your decision!

Last edited: 4th Dec, 2015
  4. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

We went through this exact same process when building on a block at the bayside. We decided to build upstairs living with kitchen and living upstairs, opening out onto deck. The entire living room and kitchen captures bay views. If we built downstairs living, we'd capture the view only maybe from the bedroom or activity room. I think this is a bit of a waste personally, and I believe the sales values will support our decision. We spent an extra 20k or so on each build compared to our regular downstairs living, and I expect it will return extra 40-50 on valuation per dwelling

If you have strong sales evidence with the downstairs configuration, and you are happy with the margins, it makes sense to just build downstairs living. It's likely upstairs living may cost a little more due to structure for extra weight, different materials, so unless you have a clear indication that the sales for living views will surpass single room views, its probably not worth it.

If the goal is to find the emotional buyer, unobscured city views certainly won't hurt :D

Even without city views, having an elevated living space with a deck etc I think is still a pretty fantastic point of difference. Capture breeze, feeling of extra space etc.

Why not do one of each?

Sackie likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would put living upstairs with the views.

6. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

have we sorted out the storm water drainage issue? nice

7. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

The neighbour has given the ok via email but still waiting for his signed form. Not counting my chickens yet.

RetireRich101 and Sackie like this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I tried 7k in $50 notes once, all in a briefcase and brought to the door.

They accepted faster than their drool could hit the floor.

Tifoso and RetireRich101 like this.