Building House - Boundary Clearances?

Discussion in 'Development' started by smooth excellence, 29th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. smooth excellence

smooth excellence Well-Known Member

I'm looking to build a house on a block of land in the low-medium residential precinct in Logan.

What gets me confused is the lot width vs. house width and what boundary clearance I will require.

I understand as part of Logan Planning scheme, there needs to be 1.5m side clearance to the boundary (each), 3m rear clearance and 4m from the front.

Thus in my mind, to build a 10m wide house, you need a 13m wide lot of land or vice versa.What confuses me is that builders advertise houses with exterior widths say 11.25m and say it is suitable for 12.50m lot widths:

Coral Homes - Home Series Detail

Isla Home Design By Metricon Impresses With Its Space And Style (House width 8.28m, min block width 10m)

Can someone clarify which is correct in this case, the planning scheme or the builder suitable lot width advertisement?

2. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Planning scheme if you need planning approval - do you need planning approval for a single house on a block? Builders are advertising their wares and providing generic information, not site or location specific, and they will be referring to building regulations, not considering planning controls

3. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

The block you are looking to build on probably doesn't have a Zero Boundary. Meaning the wall of your house is built to the fence line at the OMP (outer most point, usually your roof guttering). Older estates usually don't have zero boundary allowance. Hope this helps.

Sackie likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I would take far more notice of council requirements than a builder's advertisement which is usually designed to attract enquiries.

Have a talk to a town planner at the council for specific advice. It is in everyone's best interests to get things right from the outset.
    Marg

Tufan Chakir and Joynz like this.
  5. gaiusb

gaiusb Member

Ok to clarify, the minimum side boundary setbacks in the Logan planning scheme refer to the QLD Development Code. The min. side setback is dependent on the width of the lot. i.e. a 15m+ wide lot is min 1.5m side setback, measured to the outermost projection (the fascia of the eave); or a 12m wide lot has a min 1.05m side setback to fascia. There's a sliding scale - Refer to Table A2 of the QDC http://www.hpw.qld.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/mp1-2.pdf.

You are able to have a garage encroach within the side boundary setbacks for up to 9m in length. This can save some space.

Worst case if your setbacks do not quite comply then you can apply to council for a relaxation on the setback, which costs about $1400 council fee. You may need a certifier/town planner to assist in the lodgement. In my experience it is quite common to have to apply to council for setback issues and Logan CC are fairly forgiving.

RetireRich101 likes this.
  6. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Are you just building 1 dwelling on the LMR? If that's the case, setbacks in a single dwelling maybe used instead of LMR setbacks.
    For example, duplex on LMR lot hence the QLD duplex setback applies.

I think Logan council is ok with the setback relaxation and often don't require extra $ and can be approved under risk smart.. but you need to engage a TP that has RS accreditation... it saves 50% on council fee as well.

7. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

From my last conversation with the council it seems like they are not too fussed on setbacks if your willing to folk out the $1400 relaxation application fee - seemed very casual when i was discussing my issue. Ended up getting approved without the relaxation on another technicality