Building Granny Flat on 2 lots

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Tan Tran, 12th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tan Tran

Tan Tran New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I'm planning to build a granny flat 60m2 on a land that have 2 lots with total size 610m2.
    I have been asking a few builder and they said I must combine 2 lots into 1 order to be comply with Exempt and Complying Development Codes.
    However, I do not want to combine 2 lot into 1. Can I?
    1. Submit DA to local council to build Granny Flat in 2 lots without combine into 1 title? I'm planning to keep 2 lot without selling / building anything else.
    2. If I would like to build a pergola (10m2), does it count toward 60m2 maximum gross floor area?
    Thank you,
    Tan

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

The NSW granny flat regulations state (among other things) that for a complying development, the land must be a min of 450m2. You only have that with 2 lots combined. A few builder is right.

Archaon likes this.
  3. Tan Tran

Tan Tran New Member

If I do not want to combine 2 lots, can I submit DA via council for a none complying development.

4. YourPD

YourPD Member

some councils will consider granny flats on less than 450m2 through the DA process, but before you do this you need to check all council LEP rules are met. Confirm with a town planner and council.

Archaon likes this.
  5. Tan Tran

Tan Tran New Member

Thank you,
    If I want to resize one of the lot to smaller, for example instead 300m2 x 2, 450m2 x1 and 150m2 x1. Is it still possible through council and any cost involve?

6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I suspect you'll find that they do not allow 150m2 as a land size. Best to check with a Town Planner at Council.

Archaon likes this.
  7. Ricky Ng

Ricky Ng Active Member

Unfortunately you will need to amalgamate the lots to achieve 450sqm to build a granny flat via the SEPP. I would highly advise against merging the lots though as these gems could potentially allow you to build duplexes via complying development!

Archaon likes this.