Building Duplex and structure advise

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by 212, 28th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 212

212 Guest

Hi Guys,
    I got a house that can build a duplex in the back of the existing house while keeping the front house. I am planning to buy and hold for 2 years, and then build the duplex. After building the duplex, I am planning to keep the house and the duplex, but in case things don't go as I want. I may have to sell the duplex or 1 unit of the duplex.

Can you please help me with your thoughts on the structure I need to have. I know that If I sell the new build. I will need to pay GST, but If I buy under my name, I will not be able to claim GST back. Can I do this down the track when I decide on the build?

I am meeting with the accountant soon, and I wish you can help me with your thoughts.

Thanks

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Impossible to advise on the limited info. See all my tax tips and legal tips where I have discussed structure.

3. 212

212 Guest

@Terry_w ,
    I went through the tax tips. It is very helpful, however, I couldn't find a similar case to mine. I read in the notes that GST needs to be considered if building and selling. I read also that outsourcing project management can help as passing some of the income to a different entity. my question is mainly regarding what I should do on the purchase. I will have time to prepare a good structure before building, but I do not have much time now.

I am thinking of buying under joint names (myself and my wife). She have lower income than mine, we are both still below land Tax threshold.

Hope this makes it a bit clear.

Thanks

4. Terry_w

Development is very risky. This will expose both of you. Can you service on one name only? Preferrably the one with the least assets.

5. 212

212 Guest

Yes, I can service on one name. all our properties are under joint names

6. Terry_w

Consider leaving your wife off title and off loans and guarantees so that under a worse case scenario development fails you lose only your assets and not the assets of both.

7. 212

212 Guest

Thanks Very much Terry.

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Not sure how a title can be subdivided with an existing house and a duplex. NSW ?? Town planner might be the person to discuss this with.

Complex GST issues if sold and valuation issues will arise.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.