Building costs can blow out

Discussion in 'Development' started by MTR, 14th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

My builder emailed the earth works invoice and meeting with him this week. No sharing, full amount discounted to me

I know exactly what you mean when it comes to bigger builders

2. Coxy89

Coxy89 Well-Known Member

Prov sums still include builder margin so why shouldn't they be adding their margin onto subcontractor costs?

3. Patrico1966

Patrico1966 Well-Known Member

More to the point, why should they be able to charge a margin for a sub contractor? I source a sub-contractor to lay a floor for me because I know he is very good. I pay him for his work and thats it, why would I want to pay the builder for that, he has not done any work regarding that particular task. Of course there is a cut off point because you do hire the builder to build the house, so if I went and got a tiler or plumber for work then he would be quite right to charge a margin.

MTR likes this.
  4. Coxy89

Coxy89 Well-Known Member

That's the point. The builders job is to manage subcontractor's.
    Most builders won't be happy with you engaging subbies direct. As soon as something goes wrong all the fingerpointing starts and you've put yourself in the middle.

Beano and Charlie44 like this.
  5. Patrico1966

Patrico1966 Well-Known Member

Thats only if something goes wrong and it is the risk you take. The main thing is that the subcontractor you hire has all of the relevant insurances and the builder will usually demand this. Why would I want to pay a $4k margin for getting a floor laid and the builder has basically done nothing at all, not only that, the builder may use someone who does not do a good a job as my floor layer. This was proved to me when on a recent build the builder demanded I use his tiler, in the end the tilers work was not exceptional by any means as compared to a tiler I knew and recommended.

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Had the choice to go build at cost. This is where I get all the trades and builder takes a % and manages the project. Can save significant $$ but not interested in this much work and stress

7. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

If you get the quotes, arrange access, manage the scheduling then fine. I’m not a builder but I do PM other types of work and the effort involved is huge. Writing scopes, getting quotes, writing contracts, checking the work, managing the payments and budgeting, re-scheduling when things get delayed or there is adverse weather or equipment issues or something is taking longer than thought, co-ordinating all the pieces of the puzzle (ie multiple inter-related scopes), etc etc. And when something goes wrong it all falls back on you. It’s a HUGE job. It really ****** me off when people (clients) claim that the PM doesn’t do anything except delegate and they don’t want to pay for the PM services.

The margin will also cover the risk of non-payment by a client to the head contractor. In these instances the subbie still gets paid by the head contractor and they are out of pocket. So the margin covers that risk because eventually you’ll get someone who doesn’t pay.

Last edited: 14th Apr, 2021
    Elle Ar, Charlie44 and Westminster like this.
  8. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Can you please give me some tips on how to save on this items? Did you buy it online? thanks in advance

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Go to tradelink as they have their own brand, which is excellent, and significantly cheaper

dont buy on line, I need to see product prior to buying, probably a mistake??

Last edited: 23rd Apr, 2021
  10. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever built anything without cost blowouts?
    I say there a 95% chance of cost blowout in building.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Agree
    There will always be something. Most will go over the expected build time, this will cost $$ ... holding costs

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Builder has taken a hit with steel costs. Everything is going up
    I have a contract price locked in.

Apparently in HIA contract builder can pass on any additional costs due to price hikes??? My builder is honoring the contract price. Thankfully

Anyone know anything about this clause in HIA contract?

13. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yes there is a clause in all the Perth contracts which roughly states that if there is more than xx days between contract signing and going to site that they can pass on some costs outside of their control up to 5% of the contract amount. The amount of days is a contract item and is generally 45 days but I have seen different and like all contracts may be negotiable.

It's on page 7 of your contract - here is a screen shot

upload_2021-5-19_10-57-11.png

Elle Ar and MTR like this.
  14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The HIA Fixed Price contract is very not fixed. Between prime cost, provisional sums AND that clause it is very open to price increases.

15. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

Steel forecast is set to spike for the remaining of this year, while timber prices have stabilized. Lock in the price today if you can

David_SYD and MTR like this.
  16. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I got a quote a year ago for retaining and a small section of fence $800. I just got another quote for same job from another company $1600. Taking the ****? Surely it hasn’t doubled?

Last edited by a moderator: 19th May, 2021
    MTR likes this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

From my experiences, absolute fixed costs is really mostly a fantasy we tell ourselves prior to signing the contract to help us feel better about it.

Silverson and Westminster like this.
  18. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

As a builder, I can tell you, categorically, this is a rare event. This cost saving would be seen (quite rightly) as part of the risk/ reward relationship and kept by 99% of Builders. On the face of things, you’ve found a great Builder.

Silverson and Sackie like this.
  19. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Nearly every fixed price offer I have seen has clauses which allow variation. Variation is how most in civils and construction make a profit. The base build makes a base profit but the cream is variations. eg Site costs, changes, upgrades, modifications. They dig and hit rock and it adds to cost. Most builders have a showroom where they work to upsell the dream.

Patrico1966 likes this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes thx, he is a great builder
    I was watching builder as he was involved in 2 developments for my nephew, both went very well. No regrets so far

Sackie and David_SYD like this.