Building contract and Contract specification review

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Bjasani, 6th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bjasani

Bjasani Active Member

Hi All,
    I am planning to build with Carlisle homes and wanted some help with reviewing their building contract and building specification.
    Can you please advise good building lawyer/ Solicitor to review both Building contract and building specification. I have had help from another forum where one gentlemen has already listed all the faults i need help to review and ask Carlisle to update the building contract.

Thanks

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Check the law society in your State for practitioners with relevant experience.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I have used him several times, his good

frank horvat glenroy

4. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Are you trying to get someone to review the specifications of the contract or the legality of the contract?

If its specifications then the lawyer isn't going to be able to assist with this. You need to engage a building professional that can assess what has and hasn't been included in the contract and where the builder has gone light on allowances and inclusions.

You need to ensure the contract is water tight and as specific as possible prior to construction. the more changes/variations you request mid contract the more expensive its going to get (versus addressing these prior to commencement of construction).

Paul@PAS likes this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I met a lawyer on a course once who was also a registered builder and engineer - I've lost his card now but think he was in Surry Hills. would be the ideal candidate, if you could locate.

6. thydzik

thydzik Well-Known Member

I've previously used the below for a building contract review, quite helpful;
    But if a standard HIA contract is being used, the provisions are fairly standard, the lawyer just explains them better.

7. Bjasani

Bjasani Active Member

Thanks for the feedback Shahin. Both, I have found there are some issues with special condition on HIA contract and some Building practices are not align to Australian Building standards.

8. Bjasani

Bjasani Active Member

Thanks i should mention this i wanted someone available in victoria if possible as i am not sure if NSW have different standards then VIC.

9. Bjasani

Bjasani Active Member

Thanks i will look up for him.

MTR likes this.
  10. Bjasani

Bjasani Active Member

Thank you, I presume he is in NSW. like i mentioned in earlier post i should be more clear, i will be building in VIC so not sure if there are differences in building practice.

11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Lawyers can advise on any state law. But some restrict themselves to their own state.

12. thydzik

thydzik Well-Known Member

I'm in WA, and used him over the phone.

Just had to send the contract to him prior. and then got 1 hour of his time on the phone.