Building code for container house

Discussion in 'Development' started by Korean Zidane, 13th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Korean Zidane

Korean Zidane Member

Hi all.

In these days, container house or modular house is getting popular.

I am wondering about the building code of that kind of houses in Australia in detail. Such as the height of ceiling or gutter ETC.

If I will get a right answer, I must not be more happier.

Please help me.

2. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

@Korean Zidane

Are you looking to import your own home? if not why bother? and you need a reg builder to do this or be an owner builder

Home | Australian Building Codes Board

Personally I would give a miss not worth the trouble for such small savings

there are so many other companies that do that like prebuilt, archiblox etc. Why recreate the wheel?

Korean Zidane likes this.
  3. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

The definitions count of course. By "container house", you could mean caravan, which has different approvals (possibly including crashing a few of them for testing purposes, but that could just be car safety :D). Instead, if you mean a permanent dwelling then the building code is 100% enforceable and enforced (if you want the joy of an occupation certificate, loan, insurance, ability to sell, etc). Again, if you mean moveable dwelling (as in not on wheels, but removeable and not permanent) then the rules are different again.

Korean Zidane and bob shovel like this.
  4. Korean Zidane

Korean Zidane Member

Like this one. I would like to import.

Attached Files:

5. Korean Zidane

Korean Zidane Member

This one is just use for dwelling. Not for caravan or movable things.

Attached Files:

6. melbournian

you need to make sure all the items are Australian compliant, windows, glass, all the plumbing fittings and there are many standards).

By the time you do that you will be better off just building a new house.

mcarthur likes this.
  7. Korean Zidane

Korean Zidane Member

I would like to know about both of things movable container house and dwelling container house.

8. Korean Zidane

Korean Zidane Member

That is why I would like to know specific standards. The contract is already done.

7434 likes this.
  9. Korean Zidane

Korean Zidane Member

I would like to know about both of things movable container house and dwelling container house.

10. melbournian

it is next to impossible for yourself to know abt the standards (all of them). not sure what contract you will needs

you need to get certifications approved before you even import them (otherwise you gonna have to get recertifed in Australia). Secondly, the building surveyor who is in charge of it will need to sign off and see this items

I have imported kitchens, windows, floorboards and many other items (and unless you are importing 10 to 50 of these, it ain't worth your time) easier ways to make money

11. Korean Zidane

Korean Zidane Member

And I heard that regulation for ceiling height is at least 2.4m. Is it all the same with every house such as holiday van or every type of house in Australia.

12. Korean Zidane

Korean Zidane Member

I am the agency between Korea and Australia. The Korean container house company would like to know about the detail code for importing container house in here. Our company are almost done with the research for building code, But we wonder about this too.

Regulation for ceiling height is at least 2.4m. Is it all the same with every house such as holiday van or every type of house in Australia.

13. melbournian

first thing first - you need a builder (who will be able to install them for you) and a building surveyor for these.
    oerwise if you sell something, who is providing warranty if something does not work

there are a lot more than just ceiling height. you will need compliance on a lot of other things. Windows AS2047 standard, glass AS1288.

IF someone injures himself on the window breaking the glass - and it is not certified ? who is going to be responsible. insurance will not cover if the item is not to Australian standards.

Korean Zidane likes this.
  14. mcarthur

I understand that those importing pre-done containers have their own professionals in the factory oversea to ensure compliance (plumbing and electrical I have heard). Doing otherwise - like trying to get overseas workers to comply with the Australian standards - have met with little/no success. It may only take getting only one thing wrong to get importing rejected and a huge cost. The locals sited in the factories can signoff on the approvals (I'm told). There's no way I'd purchase an import that has been "approved" (like it seems you are progressing) without some proof. After all, when the fire happens due to incorrect (or correct!) wiring, who do I call? The insurance are unlikely to pay if there are outstanding questions on compliance from the fire report, and - forgive me if it's untrue in your case - the chance of you being around to collect from in 1 year (let alone 5 years) is pretty small. I don't think the home building compensation fund will cover it either.

15. Korean Zidane

Korean Zidane Member

I understand your point. It will be considered by the Korean Container Company. The thing that I would like to know is ceiling height must be at least 2.4m whatever the house is. Such as holiday van or ETC

16. Korean Zidane

Korean Zidane Member

I understand your point. It will be considered by the Korean Container Company. The thing that I would like to know is ceiling height must be at least 2.4m whatever the house is. Such as holiday van or ETC

17. melbournian

See the link - i send you earlier of the BCA guildelines. Builidng Code of Australia
    read it properly - if in doubt call them and ask them.

If you want to import something - surely you need to research and research and understand it properly. This is an investment forum making money not a certification materials area LOL

18. mcarthur

I doubt anyone on any forum is going to tell you - that would involve the possiblity of you actioning them later should they be incorrect (or even if they are correct but you interpret differently!). Go and pay for the advice that you can rely on for a business venture.

wylie likes this.
  19. goodtimes

goodtimes Well-Known Member

2400mm for habitable space. Only exception is a raked ceiling in loft areas which can go down to around 1800mm.

This is coming from my dodgey memory. You should contact HIA, MBA, BCA etc

20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

These places are pretty cool ===> Linky