Building close to BAL boundary

Discussion in 'Development' started by sandyfeet, 11th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

Can anybody help out with an answer to the following? (in NSW)

What happens in a situation where your building line is within BAL29 but the eave hangs over into BAL40?

Thanks!

2. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

I think you should be fine! I'm in FZ and BAL40. The build cost is significantly higher in FZ and BAL40. And I have half of the house in BAL FZ and half in BAL40.

You might have to use special insulation on that part of the house that falls in BAL40. However your cost should not be big. You are better of talking to your architect to see how that will impact you. Good luck!

I see you are in Curl Curl, im in Seaforth. Are you building in Curl curl?

3. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

Wish I was doing this one in Curl Curl! but no, on the mid north coast, area I am familiar with and can afford + we are splitting a block and one side will be our new PPOR. Our builder checked with a certifier and said that yes, that elevation would be under BAL40, even though it is literally 20cm of eave that hangs over! The certifier said council would probably not even worry, but I had been told since part of the block was BAL40 the DA would need to be looked at by RFS - I'm not certain on this.

So we either run the risk and hope council oversee it, cop it sweet, reduce house or shift boundary. Thinking we may shift boundary as we made this lot minimum size as the other was to be our PPOR - brings our lot back from 516m to 504m - not a big deal.

Thanks