Building application of dwelling not finalised

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by CheekyMonkey, 21st Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. CheekyMonkey

CheekyMonkey New Member

What are the issues and what do prospective buyers need to know/do if a building application of the dwelling has not been finalised?

This is what the council says about the state of application:
    Council Records indicate approval documentation has been issued
    however, finalisation has not been obtained. Please contact the Private
    Building Certifier or Council.

I would have thought there was a law/ obligation to state you can't sell the house as a house until it had final certification? Is there another certification which bypasses this one?

In QLD if that helps. The house in question is around 9 years old.

2. Jessica732

Jessica732 Member

My brother in law signed a contract on a house in Deception Bay, around that age and same thing happened. Turned out the builder didn't submit the last document, and all records were destroyed in the 2011 flood. They pulled out of the sale. Must be pretty common. Not sure the answer to your question just thought I'd share.

3. CheekyMonkey

CheekyMonkey New Member

Thanks Jessica732. It amazes me that things like this go unchecked/noticed/ ignored for so long, why bother having them if theres no consequences for not having them ( apart from possible sale issues). I hope it is just a paperwork thing and records are around, otherwise it will give me a big headache :)