Building and pest inspection results

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by dan2101, 6th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Just got the building and pest report for a property I have under offer in keperra. Cooling off period ends tomorrow at 5pm. It had all the usual minor defects you would expect of a 30 year old property but a couple of things I am a bit more worried about are:

- inspector has recommended I replace/refurbish all external timber barge fascia boards, timber fascia boards, roof gable ends and flashing

- no sarking under the roof tiles (there has been a roof leak in the past as ceilings are stained)

- rot around skirting in bathroom, possible shower leak.

I guess my question is would you go ahead with this, would you pull out, or would you just seek a decent reduction in price (how much?)

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Dan

2. dan2101

One more thing the tiles in the living room were eneven which he said could be attributed to movement in the ground below the slab

3. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Well-Known Member

Maybe ask the inspector about an approximate cost of repairing to "normal" level. If it is not too big, maybe go ahead. This is what I thought personally.

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Facia boards get wood rot from weather exposure.
    No sarking was how it was built.
    Bathroom skirtings get wet.
    Normal maintenance issues for a 30yr old house IMO.
    Check for shower leaks as this can be a real expense.
    See if you can negotiate a few $'s off. Otherwise not deal breakers.
    Soils under houses expand and contract depending on water content. Droughts and rains therefore can cause movement. If tiles not cracked, not much of a concern IMO.

5. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Agree with @Propertunity. Not deal breakers. Mostly wear and tear due to age. But use it to your advantage if you can. Try get a price reduction.

6. dan2101

Great advice thanks heaps guys. In my head they weren't deal breakers but needed some confirmation! Will try for a discount today before the cooking off period ends.

Cheers

7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, seems par for the course.....

8. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Roof seems similar to the one I recently purchased.. I figured worse case and best case with likely indications of costs from research. Asked for a discount (granted) above the best case figure, figured if over I can cover the worst case, and know its good for 10 years.

I would aim for $5-10k? Going on BNE market right now if you try and push too much, that may backfire, as they may just go for the next offer.

Ahh, I see this was yesterday, how'd it pan out today?

Last edited: 8th Oct, 2015
  9. dan2101

Cheers gman65. Got the cooling off period extended. Asked for 10k off the purchase price hoping they will meet me half way. I'll let you know how I go!

-nb- and Ambit like this.